WatchOS2 won't open native Watch apps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by russkn87, Sep 22, 2015.

1. russkn87 macrumors regular

russkn87

Hi everyone,

I've recently updated my Watch to watchOS2 (from the GM) but neither the retail OS2 or the OS2 GM would allow me to open installed native apps (Dark Sky, Tide Times Pro, iTranslate, etc). This is happening on both of my 2 separate Apple Watches!

3rd party apps which aren't native open just as they did before the update.

The native app icon is there, but when I press to open it, I just get a spinning circle for ages, or it will just return to the main app menu.

I have already unpaired and repaired my watch twice but it made no difference. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app makes no difference, nor does restarting either device.

I am running 9.1 Beta, but my partner also has Apple Watch on 2.0 with iOS 9.0 and this watch also has the same problem.

Any clues would be appreciated!

2. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Several have reported this same issue and several have had no problem. The one key thing that seems to work is to uninstall Dark Sky (for example) from the watch and even uninstall from your phone and then download again and open on the phone first - checking location services on your phone to make sure dark sky is listed and is set to always or at minimum - when using. Some have had to install/open on the phone twice but try the above.

Once you have re-installed dark sky on your phone and opened on your phone and check location services on your phone for dark sky, re-add to your watch. Make sure dark sky shows in the complication list on your phones apple watch app first before trying to load. Have your phone unlocked and load - unlocked just to see if Dark Sky is asking for access.

3. russkn87 thread starter macrumors regular

russkn87

Thanks for your suggestion, I just tried your suggestion to the letter but still it didn't work - just spinning loading blobs and then the app eventually just quits. I am pulling my hair out, especially since I didn't even want to buy Dark Sky, just wanted to see a 3rd party complication! Haha!