WatchOS3 and Podcasts

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Der Keyser, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Der Keyser macrumors member

Der Keyser

I have just ordered my first apple watch (AW2) and are now playing the waiting game... (I hate that game!)

One thing I cannot find a definite answer for is: Is apple with watchOS3 still playing the "our way or the highway" card in regards to podcasts natively on the AW?

The ONE feature i really want is being able to effortlessly sync a few podcasts to my watch before a long walk/run and then leave my phone behind and use Bluetooth earphones.

I know about the hopeless iTunes workaround but that's just too ridiculous to contemplate using on an daily basis. I know Apple did NOT include a podcast app for the watch in OS3, so the question is: Are they still preventing developers from making a native podcast watch app that can have data synced to it from it's parent app on the phone, and then run in the background?

I'm thinking Overcast, Downcast or one of the many thirdparty podcast apps - heck even a plex app for the watch that could have audiofiles natively would do.
    But is that still not possible with WatchOS3?

What's the deal with apple purposely denying us one of the really usefull features of a smartwatch?

2. marbla macrumors newbie

marbla

The overcast developer wrote about thinking of writing a watch os 3 app, but it isn't there yet.

3. Der Keyser thread starter macrumors member

Der Keyser

So he thinks he can make the app standalone with local data (nontethered) on WatchOS3?

4. marbla macrumors newbie

marbla