WatchOS3 - No Friends Screen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cariacou, Jun 13, 2016.

1. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

I updated to WatchOS3 today.

Things are rather stable (a couple glitches here and there, but so far I'm happy with it).

However, I can't find the friends wheel anymore.
    If I click the side button (where it used to be), it brings the dock.

And I can't find the Friends app in the icon layout either. What's happening?
    Have they intentionally removed it or is it a bug?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. jarodlee88 macrumors member

jarodlee88

They removed it and replaced it with the docks. You can still find your contacts in the phone app

4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

If this change sticks, I might be disappointed. I think cariacou and I are the only two MR forum members who use the side button to access contacts.

5. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Considering it was headline feature, I can't see it not 'sticking', and personally I'm very glad for it too. I never ever used the contacts thing.

6. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

I use it also.

There must be a way to place it there alongside other apps.

How can I download OS3 now?

7. MrGimper, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016

MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Whilst the dock feature is very good, there should still be some capability to easily access your friends as per the previous setup. Maybe something that could be added to the dock and when tapped, brings up the "old" wheel-o-friends.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Cool that you two actually have friends, unlike the rest of us forum hermits :p

9. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I'll miss this too and hope it comes back as an app - as I use this everyday to quickly call or text people

10. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

They added an option to put "Now Playing" specifically in the Dock to replace the Glance it used to have, even though there isn't technically a "Now Playing" app (it's an extension of the Music app). Maybe, while there won't be a dedicated "Friends" app, there will be a way to add "Friends" into the Dock in some way.

11. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

i don't have any friends, so I welcome this change.

12. chuyn macrumors 6502

The option still shows up in the watch app on the phone, but there's no arrow beside it and we can't tap it to edit it. I used this often enough too and hope there's a way to get to it again somehow

13. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

Download it through the Dev Centre.

14. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I watched the event and became concerned that they completely pulled the Friends wheel when I didn't see any mention of it or a convenient replacement for it mentioned. I use Friends all the time on my watch. So for those with the developer Watch OS3, what steps do you now have to do to quickly place that call, test or whatever??...and please don't tell me to use Siri. Clearly not a developer here so unable to explore the new software and would appreciate the info.

If there isn't something in the new Dock that makes it just as quick and easy to use as the wheel, I hope you guys will give feedback that there are people who use it and love it and don't want to lose it.

15. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I can see the phone app switching to favorites on the "glance screen" of the dock. Even now, you could tap into favorites on the phone app. It isn't the same as the wheel but gets you to the same place.

Edit: I just tried this out and it's not a good replacement for the friends wheel

16. cariacou thread starter macrumors 6502a

cariacou

I the way I use it now is by putting th e messages app in the dock.
    It's not as convinient tho since I can only reply to the most recent texts but it's a start

17. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

You can start a new message by using force touch.