Water Accident - Won't turn on or hold charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahoct117, Jun 9, 2013.

1. ahoct117 macrumors newbie

Last night water was spilled on my Macbook Pro, bought in 2012. I wasn't around and it was dried properly. Basically it was left to sit in a small pool of water that was trapped between the case and the notebook for hours, before I was there to dry it properly.

I stupidly tried to turn it on a couple times and to connect the charger, both did not work. Also, I had left my notebook closed but fully charged. This means the water spillage actually turned off the notebook.

I have no clue what to do. I've already left it sitting out over night, but I'm not sure it would be totally dry. I don't want to go to the genius bar yet because if they see it's wet it completely voids the warranty and applecare. Should I throw it in my bin of rice for another night? Should I try to open it up? How long do you think it will take to dry?

Thanks!

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Take it to Apple. They will know if it's been water damaged, you can't hide it.

If you explain what has happened instead of trying to BS them, you might be ok.

3. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

If you're right here, some part has probably shorted (machine kaput) and all the drying you do won't help. That said, if you're not in a hurry, you can always try rice for a few more days, because weirder resurrections have happened.

RGDS,