Water and Beeping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Langertang, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Langertang macrumors newbie

Hi There,

I spilled water (not too much, but that doesn't seem to matter) on my MacBook Pro 13'' two nights ago. My response was to immediately turn the laptop upside down so that any water would drain out; it powered off by itself with the screen going black, which worried me. I live in the desert so decided to leave my macbook turned upside down and set atop a towel in an unairconditioned room for two days to bake, so to speak (no moisture in the air here and temperature range is 70-105). I then attempted to power it up, at which point it made single, continuous beeping noises at five second intervals. No other signs. In order to stop the beeping, I had to hold down the power key so as to shut down the system. The only other thing I've noticed is that the power indicator lights along the left side don't seem to work. One of the lights was initially flashing on occasion after the spill, but now there is nothing.

Any ideas? I surmise from reading through threads that the problem may relate to a corrupted or dislodged memory stick, or else the logic board has been damaged. I am not near an Apple store, so I'm really left to my own devices for now. Thanks for your input.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

One thing you should always know is that there is always some moisture in the air. You googled what problems you could have had but you may have missed that you should have sealed the machine in rice for a good couple of days.

It sounds like your MLB is hosed. You may have to take it to Apple (send it) or find an authorized repair center.

3. Langertang thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. I had read mixed remarks about using rice to dessicate the laptop. Rice does absorb moisture, but it can also deposit all kinds of dust and particles into the crevices of your Macbook, increasing the possiblity of corrosion. I decided to leave it to the hot summer sun, for better or worse :confused:

4. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

5. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I had something similar happen a few months ago. After waiting for a day the machine still beeped. I wound up taking the entire machine apart and dried everything with compressed air. No problems since.

6. Langertang thread starter macrumors newbie

Great suggestion, thanks. I was planning on opening it up tomorrow, and will give compressed air a shot.

7. Langertang thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, opened it up and everything seemed okay on the inside. I used compressed air to clean out any dust and residue and to be sure there was no moisture, of which there was none. Still no dice. The odd thing is that when I plugged it in (power adaptor lights normal orange but the side indicator lights only work when I plug in or unplug, but not in between), the macbook immediately starts in with the single beeps at five second intervals without my even pressing the power button. I'm thinking it may be the mother board that is damaged or else something with the battery. Does anyone have insights or happen to have experienced this?

8. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

should have use a keyboard cover, would have saved ur macbook

the cost of the repair will be 1000+

my as well buy a new haswell macbook when they hopefully come out monday

9. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Sorry to hear that. I think I was pretty lucky. Did you completely take apart the computer? There was nothing left in the chassis when I cleaned mine. I think the offending board was the one the power adapter connects to. There was a little water on the side that faces the keyboard. I even removed the touchpad and cleaned that off. It was a pain, but totally worth it. Best of luck.