Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danielcoyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2019
I just knocked a glass of water on my 2015 MacBook Pro keyboard. I had fallen asleep 2.5 hours ago listening to a video with the screen brightness turned completely to dark so as to save battery. I don't know how to tell if the computer was in sleep mode or if the battery had run down and it was/is off. I think if it's in sleep mode I should turn the power button to off but I'm concerned that touching the keyboard to bring it out of sleep mode and find out whether it's in sleep mode or no longer powered could damage it and I'm concerned that if it's already off hitting the power button will attempt to turn it on with whatever might be left in the battery.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I would leave it as is for the moment and not touch a thing. Let it dry out completely - however long it takes.

Danielcoyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2019
Thanks. I did get antsy and press the mousepad. There was no engagement so either the computer totally broke and is burned out or it was actually off when the water spilled on it and not in sleep mode. I'll wait for a while before trying to turn it back on. I wonder if I should take it to the Apple Store to have them take it apart and make sure everything's dry inside

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You can certainly take it to the Apple Store but if the water indicators inside have activated, they'll likely tell you that the logic board will need to be replaced. Whether or not the machine was off or on at the time, you can bet that water has gotten inside. You might be better off taking it to someone who specializes in repairing water damaged computers. Water damage is not covered by the Apple warranty unless you had Apple Care Plus.

Danielcoyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2019
You can certainly take it to the Apple Store but if the water indicators inside have activated, they'll likely tell you that the logic board will need to be replaced. Whether or not the machine was off or on at the time, you can bet that water has gotten inside. You might be better off taking it to someone who specializes in repairing water damaged computers. Water damage is not covered by the Apple warranty unless you had Apple Care Plus.
[doublepost=1552606073][/doublepost]well, i dried it out and plugged it back in and without hitting the power button it tries to turn back on . the apple logo comes up and the bar starts to show "loading" but then it stops, turns off, and tries again. does not respond to me pushing the power button. just automatically cycles through this pattern when i plug it in an stops when i unplug

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It's possible the water seeped on to the logic board and some moisture remains. Turning it on or plugging it back in may cause more problems. It's best to try to find a repair shop that specializes in repairing water damaged computers and has experience with Macs. Or, you can take it to the genius bar. Apple used to have a flat rate repair for something like that and would send it out to their repair depot. Won't hurt to get an estimate from them. Estimates and diagnostics are free at an Apple Store genius bar.

Danielcoyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2019
Thanks guys. I found a repair person and will take it to them tomorrow. should have done that today but live and learn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.