Water damage and battery problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by baskerville, Jan 14, 2012.

1. baskerville macrumors newbie

I dropped my iPhone 3GS in water last week. I left it in a bag of rice for about 3 days and it dried out nicely. However, even after I'd charged it over night, I was still getting the 'no battery' symbol.

So, I ordered a new battery off eBay from a reputable seller. It's a 616-0431 and I bought a 616-0435 because I was told this would be compatible. It also said it was a genuine apple oem one, but I don't know if that's true/if it matters.

At first it turned on and told me to plug into iTunes, which I did. It then rebooted itself repeatedly so I couldn't complete to restore. I tried charging it overnight to see if this was the problem, but it was the same in the morning. I've tried using Blackra1n but it didn't do anything either. It has now gone back to displaying the 'no battery' symbol, intermittently showing the iTunes logo, but it never stays on long enough for me to restore it and get it working.

Two questions -
    1) Is there anything I can do to fix this? A different battery? Any software to get me out of the recovery loop?
    2) If it really is beyond repair, will Apple give me an OOW replacement, or does the fact that it's water damaged and has been opened up for a new battery somehow void that agreement?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont know if its the battery, or battery and many other things shorted out.
    When you have liquid damage many things can go wrong and if you go around guessing and replacing parts that could went bad you will waste lots of time and money.

3. baskerville thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's what I figured really.

Does anyone know if this will be eligible for an OOW replacement or not?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will be $149 for the replacement.