Water damage and cannot be charged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeremy123, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Jeremy123 macrumors newbie

I accidentally pour a little juice on my MacBook (MC700) but it was still working fine. I immediately switched it off and put it upside down to get the juice out. After several hours I tried and it worke still fine. However, two days after that I found my MacBook couldn't be charged . The light was dim green but MacBook could still be switched on. I followed the answer found on the Internet. I used a toothbrush with a little alcohol to clean the charging part. Surprisingly it could be charged again, but one week after that it suddenly could not be charged again... I tried the same method but it didn't work out... What should I do?

2. lamboman macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, even if the product has been water damaged, then saved, any residing water or contact can cause components or connections to corrode; any actions to save the parts can repair the parts in the short term, but have no effect in the long term.

I'd personally take it to a trusted professional and have them diagnose the fault; if you aren't confident in troubleshooting the problem yourself, it could be all manner of things, so getting somebody who has experience will be a better move.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Juice can be highly corrosive I'm afraid...You are probably heading for further problems down the line...Possible Logic Board damage etc. If you can get it to Apple, I'd suggest you do.

4. Jeremy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had sent it to apple before it could be charged for the first time, they said I must replace the motherboard which would cost me 1700 Singapore dollars so I didn't repair...I thought I fixed the problem...
    I doubt that the only problem is on the charging part(sorry I don't know the term for that) because it can still be switched on and function normally except being charged.So can I only replace the charging part instead of the whole motherboard?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No, you will need to replace the Logic Board I'm afraid.

6. Jeremy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

How much will that cost? :(

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Apple are your best bet...You get the guarantee of a fully qualified repair..Not cheap though..

8. Jeremy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I see...
    Don't know whether should I but a new one or repair it...

9. lamboman, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

lamboman macrumors 6502

A new logic board will vary in price, but one online UK store is selling the part at £775, just for perspective. Honestly, it might be worth just buying a new laptop, but do get a quote first.