Water damage anything else I can do

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mrkramer, May 4, 2013.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

So I happen to be in a tropical area and last night I got caught out in a very big rainstorm. Unfortunately my iPhone 4S was in my pocket at the time, and I didn't have anything I could do to keep it dry. Anyway when I got inside, the screen wouldn't turn on, the last app I had used was the flashlight app and when I pressed the power button the LED light came on, but nothing else and I was unable to turn it off. It eventually went off I'm assuming because it ran out of battery. Now it is sitting in a bag of rice since I've heard that is supposed to help. I'm assuming it is totally wrecked and my best bet is to wait until I get home and try to get Apple to do an out of warranty replacement on it but since that is a few months away still I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to try and save it?

2. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

Some of that might have been helpful, although I didn't make it back to internet as soon as I'd thought I might so I just saw it now. Anyway, I left it in rice for awhile, then as it still didn't work, I took it to a nearby phone shop where they took it apart to make sure it had finished drying out, and look at it. After they were sure it was dry and it was put back together the shop said they couldn't get anything to work, and they might have said there was some corrosion also, I don't speak the language here, so I'd had a friend that does take it in for me. After I brought it back to the place I'm staying I let it charge for a bit, if I plug it into the computer it recognizes it and I can see and back up all the data. I was also able to get a call out using siri, the screen seems to have died though.

I'm back in a bigger city now so I ended up taking it to another phone shop here, and hopefully they can fix it and it won't be way too expensive.