Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zayn008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
Ok so I have an iPhone 6, it had a dead pixel so I arranged an ERS with apple, the shipment was late (probably a good thing but I'm seeing it as a bad thing) as 2 days before the delivery my iPhone fell in water, it fell and I pulled it out within seconds, turned it off, buried it in rice and left it on the window shelf, luckily for me it was sunny/hot the next few days when the weather is usually rubbish in the UK in August so the heat + rice dried the phone, I left it for a few days and just turned it on, it's working fine and the water indicator isn't even triggered, I think I made a mistake by telling apple I want to cancel the ERS because of water damage, but that was over the phone I didn't make a case with that title, so when it came I said no, take it back to apple. Anyway I'm wondering if I went to an Apple Store (I have an appointment tomorrow) would they replace it due to the dead pixel? I believe I can prove its unrelated to water damage if that helps, any advice?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So you would like a new screen on your phone that's been dropped into water? If they flag it, just tell them that's what you'd like and then be on your way, crossing your fingers.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Even if the issue is unrelated to water damage?

You need to take it to Apple, no one here can make that choice except Apple. In the past the very first thing they look at is the water sensors and while you are trying to explain it to them they will be handing your phone back to you saying the sensors are tripped.

If they do replace your screen, and there is that possibility, it will be because Apple has a big heart.

Only way to know is to go and visit the Apple store.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
He said the water indicator isn't tripped. If it isn't then how would they tell?

Reactions: Zayn008

Zayn008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
He said the water indicator isn't tripped. If it isn't then how would they tell?
Correct, I did look at all the external ones and none were triggered, only problem is I can't see the internal ones

Zayn008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
So you would like a new screen on your phone that's been dropped into water? If they flag it, just tell them that's what you'd like and then be on your way, crossing your fingers.
If they can do a repair like replacing the screen I'm sure they have to unless they can say it was down to water damage which I know it wasn't and can't be because then more of my screen wouldn't be working, not just a single pixel. If for example I went to apple saying my WIFI wasn't working and the water indicator near it went off they could say it was water damage because they can link the two and probably see damage on the wifi chip, if they assess my screen and see there's no water damage I'm pretty sure they'll replace the screen. But do they even replace screens to fix dead pixels? I thought they replace the whole handset

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If they can do a repair like replacing the screen I'm sure they have to unless they can say it was down to water damage which I know it wasn't and can't be because then more of my screen wouldn't be working, not just a single pixel. If for example I went to apple saying my WIFI wasn't working and the water indicator near it went off they could say it was water damage because they can link the two and probably see damage on the wifi chip, if they assess my screen and see there's no water damage I'm pretty sure they'll replace the screen. But do they even replace screens to fix dead pixels? I thought they replace the whole handset

While you words sound great, what counts is how they sounds at the Apple store, not here.

Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.