Water Damage by installing an Invisible Shield on a MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by qwerf123, Aug 17, 2011.

1. qwerf123 macrumors regular

I am looking to install an invisible shield on my MBA but worried I could cause water damage, particularly around the keyboard area.

After installing invisible shields on many of my other devices in the past and seeing videos on the web of people installing their MBA shield and seeing how solutions is needed to do it properly, I am just worried the solution used could get inside and could cause damage, as it is harder to control solutions on when applying on the MBA than on something like the iPad.

Also could it flag any water damage detectors, if there are any, like on the iPhone so therefore voiding my warranty.

I own and know about alternatives like iCarbons and other skins but set on something like this so please no posts like get a skin as I want something clear.

What are people take on this, especially those who have installed invisible shields on their MacBook Air???

Thanks

2. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

I installed a full wrapsol on my MBA with no problems. Just be careful and catch as much excess water as you can with a rag.

Also leave your MBA completely off for an hour or two if you are worried about it.

3. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I use invisible shield on everything and never has given me a problem....that includes, 4 macbooks, 4 iPhones and 2 iPads.

4. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

On my zaggs I spray the back of the zagg and then lightly mist the device itself by holding the sprayer back and just letting the mist hit the device. I put the device on a towel before doing it. Once I have put the zagg on and finished everything I blot any excess up with the towel. While I use the zagg on my ipad and iphone etc, I have not used it on my mac air. Am not really sure how it would affect the vents.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Spray the solution on the backside of the shield material, not directly on the computer. You can "mist" the palm rest area, but simply shield the keyboard from the spray.

As you squeegee out the bubbles and liquid, have a paper towel handy to soak up the excess liquid as it comes out near the keyboard. Same thing with the edges of the computer, just soak up the excess as it comes out.

I have put it on 3 Airs so far with no problems. It doesn't cover any vents.
    Works great!

-howard

6. qwerf123 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks guys.

Just worried about squeegeeing around the keyboard area the most .
    Guess I'll just give it a try and see what happens!

7. Mode-III fan macrumors member

In case you want to know more, I have installed several zagg invisible shields using a dry method with good results.

8. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

do tell

9. Mode-III fan macrumors member

Sorry, I guess this reply is too late. But in case you read this, I will post some images of the process when I cover my new phone (when it arrives in a couple of weeks). Its real simple: Just peel away a small portion of the shield and cut away the cardboard backing with scissors. Align and gently rub this small portion of exposed shield onto the device. Peel a bit more of the cardboard backing, cut away and repeat the previous process. If done carefully you'll just end up with some small air bubbles that'll disappear over a couple of days.
    I've had success covering iPhones and MacBooks (including a 17" MBP).

10. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

I put a full Wrapsol on my MBA when I got it with no problems. That said, the trackpad and palm rest sections are crappy and ruin the awesome texture and got dirty FAST.

I'd just slap a Wrapsol or Zagg shield on the top and bottom and be done with it.

Be aware that you should leave your machine off as long as possible afterwards to minimize the risk of water damage. I usually double the directed for my own sanity.

11. qwerf123 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually never bothered installing my Invisible Shield, just stuck an iCarbons on at the moment. I'll probably gonna wait until it starts peeling or it gets ruined before installing it.

I main worry was water getting through the keyboard but if none of you guys had any issues, I doubt I'll have any unless I go a bit mad with the Zagg solution :p

12. heyloo macrumors 6502

I installed my InvisibleShield last night on my MBA. Took me a good 40mins possibly more to get everything sorted out, but my MBA looks great and...well, glossy :eek:

I've used InvisibleShield on all my iPhones and iPads - I only just put PowerSupport Matte on the front of my iPhone 4S and iPad2 because I started to get tired of the 'sticky' feel of the InvisibleShield. That said, I've never had any issues with InvisibleShield with respect to what it's built to do - to protect. The InvisibleShield does tend to get yellow tints as you use it and when it gets really dirty and ugly, I just ask for a warranty replacement. :)

Anyway, I've only really installed the IS on smaller devices and first time with a big one like the 13" MBA. I sprayed a ton on both the film and a bit on the body itself as well. I made sure not to tough the power button during the install for obvious reasons. On the keyboard side of things, I just sprayed extra on the film just to make sure I get everything in place - as long as you get enough on the film and not on the computer itself, and have a paper towel on stand-by, you won't get any water onto the keyboard. Just remember gently slide through the film to get the excess water out. I made about 3-4 passes from gently sliding of the towel to using the squeegee at the very end. I also tried to make sure to get all the liquid from dropping into the side of the trackpad.

After installing, I just left the computer off and let it dry for the night, just to make sure.

One thing I might not like the IS in its current state is its smell. My MBA now smells like plastic and the smell gets all over my palms :eek: However I do like that my MBA is now protected ;)

*P.S. One thing to note whenever you're install InvisibleShield is, well at least for the MBA, don't be afraid to spray a ton on the film. Makes installation much easier and faster, as you wouldn't have to go through the process of taking it off and reapplying. Just place the wet film on a reasonable position and glide it through into position. After that, take your paper towel and use that as a pseudo-squeegee to make your 1st, 2nd passes through it. I used a ton for my installation and I still have 1/3 - 1/2 bottle left. Also having a can of dust blower comes in handy whenever you do these installs (for dust specs you may have missed). :)

13. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

invisible shield is product for people who don't wish to take the time and care to be responsible for the condition of their devices.

All that cost and work for something that really only protects against scratches and is going to look like garbage and change color from all the dirt it collects in a few months?

No thank you.