Water damage- can you help me figure out what is damaged?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by carriemichelle, Feb 15, 2011.

1. carriemichelle macrumors newbie

Hi all, I know there are a million posts on water damage but I can't seem to find one that relates exactly to my case. I spilled 1/4 cup of water on the top left corner of my MacBook. My screen immediately went white and fizzled in and out to black before I could get the battery out. I took it to the apple store and they confirmed the water damage and the repair fee. The only other thing they told me was that the battery was getting power but the computer wasn't turning on. Does anyone have any guesses as to what part of my computer got fried so hopefully I can get a new part instead of an entire new computer (I'd rather buy a new computer than pay almost that much for water damage repair)? I want to learn more about it before I spend money taking it to another computer repair shop to look at it.
    Thank you for your help

2. wpotere Guest

Probably a dead logic board. Not going to be cheap.

3. carriemichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

In most (if not all) MacBooks, if you go straight down through the plastic exterior in the upper lefthand corner, you will touch the logic board. I believe that you caused damage to the logic board and shorted something out.

Edit: for the cheapest logic board replacement that you may find, go to this website.

Edit 2: It appears as if they do not have any replacement boards for your model. Is it plastic or aluminum?

5. carriemichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

It's aluminum, 13-inch, got it in January 2009

6. wpotere Guest

About 700ish... Sorry to hear about your damage. :(