Water Damage Clarification

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leons, May 25, 2009.

1. leons macrumors 6502

I know that it is "official" that Apple will replace water damaged Iphones for a fee (http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7). There are also several threads, and a blog, all that I have completely read. But two key points remain unanswered:

1. Water damage replacement is defined as an "Out of Warranty Repair". But, it remains unclear whether the definition of "Out of Warranty Repair" is defined as an Iphone under warranty with a "condition" (e.g. water damage) that is not covered, or if an Iphone with an expired warranty is also eligible for this paid exchange.

2. Will the replacement Iphone carry a full 1 year warranty from the day they give it to you, and be eligible for extended Applecare?

On a side note, last week my Home Button (on my 3G under warranty) stopped working. I bought it into the Apple Store. The "Genius" looked into the earphone hole (for water damage), saw none, and replaced the front assembly (screen and home button) at no charge. After I brought it home, by happenstance I was reading an article that described the two water sensors. I checked mine, and found the one in the bottom connector (that the genius did NOT inspect) was red. (It works fine, and has never been exposed to water AFAIK).

So, here's my question/dilemma. The warranty is up in a couple of months. I was going to buy Applecare for an additional year. I have also read (and my recent experience seems to verify) that many times they only check the earphone indicator. So, should I still buy Applecare, and hope that they make the same mistake in the future, or is it likely a waste of money at this point?

2. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Save your money to Pay the $199 replacement charge.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Did you purchase it using a credit card that doubles the warranty? If so, you already have another year of protection and you just file a claim with your CC company if it's in need of repair.

4. leons thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

the replacement iphone will have a 90 day warranty or however long the original waranty lasts

or whichever is LONGER

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Any repair that isn't covered by the warranty (either because the warranty period has expired, or because the repair needed isn't covered by the warranty) is considered an out-of-warranty repair.

You're covered either way.

7. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

Or you could just replace the liquid indicator strip. Done that countless times for blackberries lol. :D

8. core2duo macrumors member

I've been in for service a couple of times, and each time the Genius checked my headphone jack and the dock connector. So I'd say chances are pretty good they'll find it, which would make your Apple Care useless.