water damage - data recovery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jmarlowe, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmarlowe macrumors newbie

Long time listener, first time caller. If anyone can help, y'all can.

Small amount of water entered top of iPhone. Phone kept working, he plugged it in and charged it (car charger) - a few hours later went to take a photo and phone quit working. (After searching, I realize we should not have plugged it in.)

I had him put it in a bag of rice, and kept fingers crossed. No luck yet, but it's only been a day. I suggested leaving it sit and not trying to keep turning it on.

I realize it may never come back, but the bigger problem is the texts and phone call history, which really we need to recover. I see from searching that it's not stored on the SIM card.

The phone has not been synced or backed up w/iTunes recently.

I'd love to have the phone back, but if it stays dead is there any way to recover that text/call data?

2. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Everytime u plug the phone into iTunes it makes a backup. The backup includes all your contacts, phone history, photos, text messages and application info (such as high scores).. All u need is another iPhone and restore from backup..

3. jmarlowe thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have mentioned - he has not backed it up in awhile. (I know) Thank you though~

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, your friend will learn the hard way to make backups more frequently.

Anyway, unless you can get it connected to iTunes, you're SOL. There may be a way for some data recovery company to get it off, but that's going to be expensive, I would guess.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    If you cant connect it to itunes and do a backup there isnt much else you can do but learn a lesson and next time keep your phone backed up on a weekly or monthly basis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.