Water Damage, Fried Battery. Other Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by secksthoi, Jan 13, 2012.

1. secksthoi macrumors member

A few months back my Air became soaked and the battery shorted out completely. Dunking it in rice for a few weeks has saved it to the point of being supported by power outlet. And Apple ran a diagnostic with everything checking out except the battery (though they refused to change the battery, obviously..).

Now leading to my question. I've noticed some slowdown here and there, biggest example being Youtube, where the video and page will freeze for the video duration and play way after. Is this something to do with the battery, or something completely different? GPU possibly?

I can try to get it replaced at a third-party vendor, but at this point.. is it even worth it? Any response with suggestions or experiences would be greatly helpful and appreciated. :)

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

How much are you willing to spend, and how comfortable are you with the absolute loss of the unit?

Honestly, if you don't have the money to completely replace the computer and the issues are bothering you enough, see if you can find somebody to replace the battery and logic board.

Or perhaps start with the battery and see if that works? But both probably need to be replaced.

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

You are incredibly lucky it is working at all. Amazing.

4. secksthoi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your response. Looking at the upside, it works. The other plus side, I've only owned it for about half a year before the accident, so no real crucial data has been lost or anything. The only real downside, well.. it's a new computer, and a nice one at that.

Researching here and there, it seems the price will be roughly $130 to replace. Not that painful, but I really don't want to pour hard-earned money into something that will fix one thing and turns out didn't fix the other (possible Youtube/GPU problem?).

Seems redundant to your help with my thought process, but maybe someone's experience to the same issue was able to be resolved (since water damage seems to be the most common).

Oh, I was freakin' happy as hell when that beautiful screen lit up, WITH my notes I was typing untouched and resumed. WOW! :)