Water Damage Guide/Basics

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bki122689, Oct 27, 2008.

1. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

Hopefully this would help people and answer some questions.

If your like me and experienced water spill all over your macbook pro you go bananas. I could not believe it happen. I have been so careful but then all of a sudden it just happen. Anyways I just got through it and thank god everything works fine. So i decided to write this mini guide to help others.

1. First thing after water is spilled over your macbook pro turn it off immediately. Don't turn it back on until it has dried thoughroly. Also remove the battery from the back.

2. Wipe all the water as fast a you can and as much as you can. Lay a lint free shirt or a lint free towel over and press so it soaks. Don't wipe or it will seep through the keyboard even more.

3. Next Don't waste time going to apple even if you have Apple Protection Plane (APP). There gonna say that they don't cover "accidental damage" and they will charge you a lot to fix it. (They charged me $1300, just to fix it. Good thing I decided not to have them fix it)

4. Ok now if you are really lucky the water damage has not gone to your logic board. Cause if water goes to your logic board there is a good chance that it will F*ck up and if your logic board goes out your basically f*cked. Replacement is very expensive, especially for mac. But this can be prevented if action is taken immediately.

5. So one you soaked as much water as you can it's time to remove the top cover. There are instructions on ifixit.com. Once you remove the top cover of your mbp leave it by the widow so that the sun is shining on it. Don't leave it outside on a sunny day it will probably just ruin everything. Let it dry by the window for about 40-60 minutes minutes.

6. Once you do that connect the top cover back and hope for the best.

If this does not work, it probably did not dry all the way through. Just disconnect the top again and have it dry through.

This is what i did and my mbp works perfectly. I would recommend to replace your keyboard though just to make sure it doesn't stop working in the future.

question, comments, concerns?

Good Luck
    BKI

2. spenc247 macrumors newbie

3 days ago i spilt 12oz of Mountain Dew on my MACBOOK and as soon as i did that i turned it off and wiped it off, and held it under a fan for two days, and sometime would try turning it on than turning it back off, and it would turn on, but not the screen,...i recently have taken the battery out and have taken a blow-dryer to it and it is currently sitting in a TEEPEE stand with a fan blowing on it...(i havent tried turning it on for awhile) i kno its most likely water damage, but if anybody knows more about this please please let me kno

3. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

ok no more blow-drying. I did that to my mbp and the keys on the keyboard melted. lol. Luckily apple replaced it for free.

Some people will argue that water damage is not very bad for the computer. But you got mountain dew on your mac. That has chemicals and all that sh*t, which can possibly lead to corrosion.

My best bet would be (only if your daring enough) to open up your macbook and dry if off like that. When i opened my mbp it was moist under my keyboard. I wiped it off and dried it off and it worked.

Try putting some rice around your macbook or on your macbook. Rice sucks out all the moisture. If your logicboard is not damaged just give it some time to dry off.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

When water came into my iBook's display (a vase fell), it was still running after I discovered it. All was working, but I immediately shut it down, removed the battery, and let the whole computer dry for several days. I even put it in the oven at 50°C.

It worked fine after all the drying, just the display needed one month to completely (almost) lose all the Aqua spots.

It worked fine for months until the famous 18 month mark and the Logic board died. I got it replaced for free however, without any comments on water damage.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

So what happens when you spew up all over it ? ( it does happen )

6. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

Dude you are really daring to put your mac into an oven at 50 degrees C. Yeah as long as the water doers not get to your computers main components, you just have to wait it out.

Lots of cleaning dude, that's what you get. Open it up and clean it make sure it did not get on your logic board. Do not turn on until it's all dry Use mr. clean magic eraser. It's the best for cleaning macs.