Water Damage, Help Needed Urgently.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by brookey12, Apr 20, 2011.

1. brookey12 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Here's my problem,

Last week I dropped my iPhone 4 down the toilet, (yeah yeah a dumb thing to do I know) it was in the toilet for literally 1 second, as soon as I pulled it out I took the back out and dried it with a hair dryer, it came back on and apart from the screen looking a but wet the Phone worked perfectly,

That was until yesterday I was charging the phone and it just switched itself off, I tried to switch it back on but nothing I tried charging it overnight but nothing, I've tried swapping the battery with my boyfriends iPhone 4 but it's not a battery problem as my battery works in his iPhone perfectly and I tried his battery in my iPhone but still nothing, tried connecting it to my computer but nothing and iTunes doesn't see it either,

So now I'm lost and obviously gutted I can't take it to apple cause it's not covered on the warranty so I don't have a clue what to do,

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance,

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

probably too late but have a look at this article anyways.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Genius Bar out-of-warranty replacement is $199 (and requires you giving them your broken iPhone).

Buying a new iPhone 4 from AT&T while you're still under contract for the first iPhone 4 will typically cost $399 minimum, if you're eligible for an early-upgrade.

You really took your and your bfs iPhone 4s apart and swapped batteries?

Also, you posted this thread in the iPhone Accessories sub-forum, so it may not be seen by a lot of people. You might want to press the "Report It" icon and leave a note to have a mod move this to the general iPhone forum.

4. alukado macrumors member

You shouldn't start the iphone until making sure it is dry enough .

5. brookey12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

So heres my current update, to say im shocked is an understatement,

I followed everyones advice and bought a food bag (zipped one obviously) and put a bag full of rice in it and put the iphone 4 in to the bag, This was yesterday afternoon.

So i kept checking it overnight and still nothing was happening,

Checked this morning and still nothing,

Then about 10 minutes ago i held the bag and the phone (didn't take the phone of the bag) and pressed the power button and WOW something appeared on the screen, it was the no power sign, when your battery goes dead (Click here to see what sign im talking about: http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h479/delboy123456/iphone-battery-dead.jpg)

Now as the screen seems to be working what do i do next, do i leave it in there?? or do i take it out and charge it?/

If i do leave it in there how long shall i leave it in there for?

What im afraid of is it would be jst my luck now to leave it in there and when i do eventually take it out of the bag of rice i'll go to charge it and it won't charge or something lol that would be my bad luck lol,

So what do you suggest i do next??

Also thanks ever so much to all of you for your outstanding help, you guys have really been amazing,

6. psyduckiee macrumors regular

Well according to the article it recommends waiting a few days. So just give it another day so the rice can absorb more of the water and it's vapors from the device.

7. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

The whole point of the rice trick is to leave it alone. Do not keep checking it. The water itself is not nearly as bad as water mixed with "live" circuits.

8. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

rice trick works... everytime all the time. you gotta leave it for a WEEK tho and taking out to check is definite no no.

even if it turns on now there might still be water damage. i would leave it till your positive it completely dried up.

9. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

The rice trick rarely works. Consider yourself lucky and let it sit a few more days.

10. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

hmm... worked everytime for me and others i know. as long as u do it right away. 2 blackberrys in the past and an old sony erricson and 2 friends one with an iphone 3g and one with a blackberry. we all swear by it and so do a few others ive heard.

11. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

This is blatantly false.

12. wpotere Guest

Just and FYI, but constantly "checking" it is what you DON'T want to do. Put it in the rice for a week and leave it alone. If there is water in there when you are checking it, you could short it out and destroy it permanently. The idea is to put it in rice and get it totally dried out BEFORE you turn it on again. :rolleyes:

13. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

:D:D
    I did this on my old 3GS. Took it into apple cause it wouldn't power on. It was 3 or 4 monts out of warranty plus had water damage from a while back and they completely waived the 199 fee! I was shocked and totally didn't expect it.

14. Makaveli3 macrumors newbie

Hey there! Water damage? That must suck, well if you are good at fixing parts I think this site could help you get the parts you need.

http://directiphoneparts.com/iphone-parts.html?cat=7

Not sure if that's the right category, if its wrong sorry ;(.

If you need help on your iphone send me a pm ill try to assist you with whatever I can do!

15. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I would agree and disagree, the rice trick does work but not very well. If you want to do a proper job buy a bag of silica gel crystals (the stuff that comes in little baggies with electronic equipment like cameras).

REMOVE the battery and put the phone in the silica and leave in a warm dry place for 3-5 days. Move the phone around in the silica once a day, other than that leave it be.

The secret is patience, every time you turn it on with liquid still present you risk causing more electrical damage.

16. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Wait, wait, wait: If you screw up your iPhone, Apple will replace it for $200? Does it matter anything about yoru AT&T contract??

17. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

The hardware is ultimately Apple's. If something happens to it, you take it to Apple... AT&T only subsidizes them with contracts.