Water Damage - help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by twz22, Jun 5, 2012.

1. twz22 macrumors newbie

just got an email from the wife. my son (2 years old) got a hold of her 4S and "dunked it into her coffee cup". Apparently in went in dock end first and about half way up.

she turned it off right away and put it in a bag of rice. how long should we leave it there? is there a better idea? what are the odds that it is ok?

any tips/advice greatly appreciated.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Many forum post's here but to be honest? You are going to be lucky, if it works, and even if it dies come back to life, corrosion will set in.

The rice trick is good, but "Dunking" electronics and immersing them in liquid can only end one way.

If your wife has AC, take it in after the rice trick. ANd hope you get a friendly genius.

3. twz22 thread starter macrumors newbie

new wrinkle - turns out that its not actually shutting off. keeps rebooting itself. ideas?

4. ETOWNE macrumors newbie

ETOWNE

the rice trick does work with drying out a wet phone, however the problem with phones dropping in water is that they short out when they hit the water... i dont see much hope for this phone

5. twz22 thread starter macrumors newbie

24 hours in a bag of rice and all appears to be in order. fingers crossed.

proud of the wife actually. i figured she was going to pour some rice in a ziploc bag. when i got home, she had cut open a new bag of rice in the pantry and just put the phone right in :)

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If your wife takes sugar this would have an adverse effect too.

Like already said its the damage to the internal boards way after the initial accident.

You can either wait and see and use it till it possibly eventually fails, pay for repairs to try and keep it alive, or let it go to Apple Heaven when its time.