Water Damage...I'm screwed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DOUGHNUT, Oct 26, 2012.

1. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

Pretty sure I'm screwed on this one.
    A couple of days ago, while using my rMBP on my kitchen counter next to the sink (bad idea) left the water running by accident and the counter got flooded. Removed my MBP ASAP and the computer was still running. Turned it off immediately tried to shake the MBP to get as much water out as possible (there were some but not much). Everything seems fine. It still turns on and all. So I decided to turn it off overnight just to be sure.
    Next day, it turns on no problems.

The computer managed to not show any sign of trouble for more than 2.5 days until this morning. I left my MBP on overnight last night as usual but this morning it wouldn't turn on. Keyboard wouldn't light up and no response. Plugged the computer via HDMI but nothing shows up. Removed MagSafe but still hears a low level hum on the corner closest to MagSafe so it's still running.
    Tried force shut off, smc reset and everything but 0 response.

I'm pretty sure if I bring it to Genius Bar they'll find evidence of water damage. Found a link to TheMacGeniuses.com with liquid damage repair for 299 but I don't know if I'd trust them. Should I risk it and bring it on to Apple Store to be evaluated?

I do have an accidental damage claim policy on my credit card which will cover up to $1000 of damages. What should I do?

Also, if Apple voids my AppleCare would they refund it or reapply after repairs complete?

2. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

Next time leave it turned off for a longer period of time. If you can't open the computer than it can take a week or two even at low humidity conditions to fully evaporate the water.
    A day definitely isn't enough time for all the water to evaporate away and, by turning it on, you supplied the necessary voltage potential to induce electrochemical corrosion reactions at exposed metallic interfaces.

3. DOUGHNUT thread starter macrumors regular

Lets hope there's no next time!
    So I verified that i can power off and on the machine but no boot up screen, nothing. Gonna leave it off for a while now. Probably fried

4. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

is it too late to do the bag-of-rice treatment?