Water damage in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sabergin, Jan 12, 2011.

1. sabergin macrumors newbie

my notebook was ON last night, and somehow a whole glass of water fell off of a table and onto my keyboard, and I didn't walk into the room to see this until at least 3 minutes after it had happened. When I came back into the room, the computer was off and I literally tipped it sideways and a ton of water poured out of it onto the floor. I took the back off and blew dry it for a couple of hours, then opened it and set it up in an A position and let it dry overnight (I also removed the RAM).

Today I connected it to the power source with no luck, the light on the charger head didn't even turn on. The computer will not turn on, and I believe it is just completely shocked. I called geek squad and they said they cannot connect it to a external power source and going through apple is the only way to fix it.

In my opinion, I think the computer is completely fried, but then again I am not a computer wizz and can't figure it out on my own. If anyone has had a similar experience or can help me out with some advice on what to do, that would be great.

BTW, this is a mid 2009 aluminum unibody 13'' macbook pro... if that helps.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Your first mistake was turning it on that soon after 'pouring' water into it. If the logic board was even slightly damp when you connected the power source it would have shorted the MBP out.

You only choice may be to go to Apple and explain your situation.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

sorry man sounds like you are hosed (sorry, I couldn't resist).

If you tipped your machine on it's side and water actually came out of the keyboard, cd slot and bottom case then you are really screwed. No different than throwing it in a lake.

Apple absolutely will not help you, for free, and your applecare is now null and void.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

With that much water, it is probably going to need virtually every internal replaced. Between not seeing it when it happened, trying to power it up too early, and blow drying the logic board, it is almost surely not going to be financially worth repairing. Try finding a Apple Authorized Repair Center as the costs of fixing that computer through Apple will almost surely exceed $1,000 and may be substantially higher. You may be able to put a claim in with homeowners insurance if you have it, but Applecare does not cover this and I'm not even sure what they will do with such severe water damage.

I would take it to a repair place, get an estimate, and if it is high, sell it on eBay 'as is', and then purchase a new/refurbished/working used one.

5. DenisK macrumors member

It depends on where you are. In the US, the Geniuses offer a package for out warranty machines (portables only) for something like 200 or 300, that fixes/replaces EVERYTHING that is not to spec with the machine. Not sure though, if it exempts water damaged machines, would not be surprised if it did! I think you need to dry that machine first, a few days at least, and then see how things shake out...

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

^ My understanding is that the depot repair program doesn't apply to machines where user error caused the problem. I would imagine that they'd especially stay away from any liquid damage. Unfortunately, I would imagine that you'll be purchasing a new machine very soon...

7. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

if it's completely died of water and no evidence of it.. take it in and see what they say.. mite as well chance it

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That isn't very honest. Furthermore, Apple products have water sensors which show water damage and if you go in their and pretend the "I didn't know", you've just killed your credibility. Apple does go above and beyond for their customers; if you are financially strapped for cash or it was something out of your control, be honest and let customer service know whatever the truth is and they will likely work with you if you approach it in the right manner and contact the people who have the authority to change standard operating procedure. It's happened many times before.

9. Muscle Master, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Your rite, The days when I was broke I probably would have lied to be honest

But last I checked..

Apple has more than $50,000,000,000 in the bank.. they could spare a MBP or 10.. the greedy savages they are smh

But I'm puzzled.. Why don't apple offer accidental coverage??? they could easily tackle a extra hundred dollars or two towards applecare.. it would be worth it considering how much a logicboard is

10. alt macrumors regular

Yup...if this happens you gotta NOT turn it on..point a fan on it and just try to let it dry for a couple days..then try...turn it on when theres still water in there.. DEAD

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Its the few people act like this that could potentially ruin the excellent customer service that we expect from Apple.

When the OP takes it back to Apple Store they should just be honest and explain what happened. As others have mentioned you will have more chance of getting a replacement.

The MBP (in fact the majority of Apple's new products) have water sensors that change colour when exposed to water. The technicians will take the machine apart to investigate, see the tripped sensors and charge you accordingly.

Edit* Good backtrack!

12. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I guess your rite.. Before Christmas I had that white screen tearing effect on my display, now the tech could have been a dick and said due to the minor dent I have on the lid.. I would have paid $400 to have it replace

But he said.. it can be done under warranty as a courtesy. So my lid and display was replaced... So I retract my previous statement

Funny thing is I have that effect again and my lid is in excellent condition

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'd imagine they simply do not want to get caught up in insurance as they have no experience with it and probably don't want to have to investigate claims to see if it was a legitimate accident or if someone wanted a new model and threw it in their bathtub. Insurance is a nightmare to start up in regards to portable electronics and there is numerous logistical problems.

14. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Lmao !!! but you have a point