water damage iphone 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by billyc1611, Jun 7, 2010.

1. billyc1611 macrumors newbie

hello there,
    i smashed my iphone screen a couple months ago, replaced it and everything worked fine, couple weeks later smashed it again and never went to the hassle to fix it again, then some chick dropped it in the water and it wouldnt turn on, i took it all apart and brushed over everything with alcohol, since the screen was already broken i decided to pop for a new one, replaced it and it booted up first try and seemed to work fine, then started acting funny, it will open up random apps, in a text it will type random letters, and in an app will click random things, also it is very hard to touch things and open apps but once you get it working it works fine until you stop touching it, im wondering if this is a problem with the new screen i had purchased since the phone is working perfect besides that, or if the motherboard or somthing other than that could be faulty, anyone have any ideas? it would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks bill

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its probably cause of the water damage not the screen.
    Bring it to Apple to have it replaced for $199 if you want.
    Other than that it could be the logic board or many other things that went wrong with it.

3. billyc1611 thread starter macrumors newbie

yaa i was afraid somone would say that, i mean the new iphone is cooming out soon how much more would it be if i waited till it came out then got the old one replaced with the iphone os4 or do u think they would even do that

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they will not do that.
    They have plenty of 3G and 3GS refurbs in stock to last a very long time. They wont replace it with an iphone 4.
    If you replace your 3GS for $200 you could probably sell it for around $400
    Right now its not worth anything.

5. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

There are cellphone repair places all over the place, google map "cell repair" or something in the area

6. billyc1611 thread starter macrumors newbie

hahaha i took the covers off of the logic board and scrubbed it with hydrogen peroxide and it works perfect, dropped phone clear in the water while it was on, had a cracked screen so it filled up with water, and it works flawlessly