Water damage macbook pro: what hardware is damaged?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by broodjeaap, Sep 4, 2012.

1. broodjeaap macrumors newbie

Hello,

New here, and here because of unfortunate events, like most people here I suppose. Spilled a glass of red wine over the keyboard of my very new mac book pro (mid 2012, 13 inch).
    Turned it off, let it to dry upside down, had a friend (ex apple worker) open it up and check it the next day. Seemed not to be so horrible damage wise, hardly went trough, just a few tiny drops on the inside, unfortunately also a little trace on the motherboard, but really small, not even sure if it was actually from the wine.
    Cleaned it all out with q tips. Waited the rest of the day, but since we took it apart completely knew that it had to be dry. Fan is still working, battery seemed okay at first, motherboard looked pretty okay.

After cleaning and waiting it would not turn on. Hours later it unexpectedly did after a very long press on the on/off button. When it was on everything worked; mic, speakers, webcam, trace pad, keys. But it also had some strange flaws: it seemed a lot slower (it is a very new machine so was working flawless before), it only turns on with a very long press, it does not slumber (when I close the lid it turns off all the way), and it des not seem to charge. While I was on it researching this topic, it just turned off out of nowwhere, and has not turned on since. I think it was because of the empty battery. And since it was no charging, it did not matter that it was on the charger at the time. Do find it strange that it did not 'warn' me, but maybe if the slumber function would have worked properly it would have and it would go to sleep insyead of just plain off out of nowhere.
    It is off and just stting there now.

Any advise? How do these symptoms sound? What is the reason for the slowness? Does it appear there is logic board damage?

Thanks alot, will be happy to provide more info, anytime.

Cheers

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

If you cleaned the logic board to the best of your ability and removed any residue using rubbing alcohol then unfortunately there is nothing more that can be done. Most of these problems will only be resolved by replacing the logic board, a very expensive repair. It definitely has been damaged. I would open it once again, clean the connections and clean up any residue, but it likely wont ever return to its original state.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There's no way to tell for certain even from your post.

Typical for liquid damage.

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

If you really had very little wine inside the case, it's possible you could tell the Apple Store it's been having problems. If the water indicators haven't been tripped, you should be OK.

5. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wouldn't that be unethical? I'm sure the Geniuses would know eventually after inspecting the unit anyways.

6. broodjeaap thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, yes, maybe. But I might anyways, sorry. There is one spot 'in' the dvd drive around a screw that I have not been able to remove on the inside. Apart from that, I indeed think they might not be able to tell. I will try once again to get rid of the spot and bring it in soon..

I know that water damage gives pretty random symptoms, and I suppose mine sound like logic board fail, but probably the battery as well, no? Or could the 'non charging' be related to the board damage as well?

What do you guys think about replacing the motherboard myself?
    I have a friend that knows how..

Cheers

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If liquid submergence indicators haven't been triggered, and you can completely clean it you may as well see what Apple can do.

I don't know about replacing the mobo. Depends if the person is very confident with the operation.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

And people wonder why Apple is a polarizing cult like environment?

Fraud is a word conveniently ignored.

Cheating is celebrated

Cheating Apple is the norm

Failing to face reality

Failing to understand who pays for fraud

Failing...

Ethics?

What Ethics?

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

You are the paradigm of ethics here on MacRumors. Your certificate and trophy are being sent via carrier pigeon.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Ten points for the brilliant humor :D

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Let's just hope the carrier pigeon doesn't circle the poster and drop something messy and white on his head.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I honestly couldn't care less how much you lie and how "unethical" you are, however when people use it to avoid costs that they are responsible for, people with legitimate problems are the ones getting screwed.

Or, to put it another way, you lend someone your computer and they spill a glass of wine on it. Should you buy a new computer and hand it over again or would you expect them to take some personal responsibility and assume some of the cost for the damages? Wouldn't you be more angry if they came to you and claimed it just stopped working and expected you to fix it for them for free?

13. broodjeaap thread starter macrumors newbie

Lots of preaching here. i know, i know, but I sincerely doubt if this is the type of stuff that makes apple 'expensive' for the other, fair and 'ethical' people. Their anti fraude system is probably pretty fail proof for the most part, but I just happened to get lucky with no visible damage. Anyways, this is really beyond the point, cause this forum is not going to stop me from trying. Trust me, I do not feel good about it either but it appears for the moment I am putting my own interest above ethics. Broke student and all of that, semester is starting..

I have one more question. The last thing I was doing on this mac before it finally really died on me, was researching water damage issues. That tab is probably
    still open. Will they start up my computer during the process of the repair/will they ask for my password/will the tab still be up after massive deconstruction of the machine? That would be so ironic, that that would sell me out. All the moral knights here can keep their fingers crossed and hope I get caught.

cheers

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

Of course you wouldn't your the one trying to commit a fraudulent return.

15. broodjeaap thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume all the preachers are not hypocritical in any way they live their ethical lives.
    It is impossible to not be a hypocrit when it come to ethics in my opinion, so you have got to pick your battles. If this is yours, good luck fighting it. I chose other ones and tent not to judge others to much.
    Maybe you think hypocritisy is besides the point, but I do not believe so. I will not jump to conclusions but have to say that I am almost sure that nearly everybody has commited something that goes against their own values, morally. Like maybe even purchasing an apple piece of hardware in the first place, regarding the apparent "unethical'' labor enviroment they have supplied to their workers in the past and probablly still today.

Im a retard for spilling my drink over my most valuable possesion. I have learned my lesson and hopefully this will not ever happen again.

Back to the point: does anyone know about these taps?

16. broodjeaap thread starter macrumors newbie

You do seem to care about my ethics. Anyway, I do not think it is reasonable to compare these situations, it is to analytical. Dealing with a one on one interaction with an individual is just not the same as me vs the billiondollar company (and vice versa) With the individual there are other factors like trust and sympaty, feelings I do not have towards apple, nor do I thing they trust and sympaties their consumers.

I guess it is pointless to ask you if you would not do the same, cause you will say you would not. I have to say, that is impressive.

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Normal people don't commit fraud on a regular basis. I'm a tech myself, and if someone lies to me about something like this, they lose all trust. Normally, of course, the customer comes first, but once they try to defraud the company I work for, that goes out the window. This isn't a case of you "sticking it to the man". How much money Apple has should be completely irrelevant. There's the right thing to do, and the wrong thing to do, and since the wrong thing is also illegal, the choice should be obvious. Too bad your moral compass is sticking in the wrong direction…

jW