Water damage MBP retrieving hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zhangstar, Apr 6, 2015.

1. zhangstar macrumors newbie

Hi,

My MBP was damaged 1-2 years ago via water and I was told that it wasnt worth fixing so I left it. I didnt spill alot of water, however I clumsily left it on that day and when I came home I turned it off and was never able to turn it back on.

Then randomly a few days ago, I realised there were some files and photos I would like to retrieve from my old MBP. So Im just wonering, is there any way POSSIBLE I could ever retrieve those files/photos? Or is there any chance the hard drive might still work?

Thanks

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Pull the HDD and plug it in via a USB caddy and you will see...entirely possible the HDD will work fine.

3. zhangstar thread starter macrumors newbie

I took out the hard drive just then, but im not sure what to do next? Im new to this, sorry!!

----------

I took out the hard drive just then, but im not sure what to do next? Im new to this, sorry!!

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Most PC shops will sell an empty USB caddy or drive box into which you can put your bare drive from the Mac. Then you can plug it into a working Mac and pull any data off you need. If it doesnt spin up and mount correctly then it was likely damaged by the liquid but fairly cheap to find out.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you're hard drive looks something like this:

[​IMG]

Then you will need to get one of these.

If it looks more like this:

[​IMG]

Then you'll need to buy one of these.

In either case, once you've got what you need, you'll need to follow the instructions you get with the package to install the hard drive in the enclosure. Then, plug it in to any working Mac via USB, and see if you can retrieve any of the data.