water damage question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by z0n3x, Apr 22, 2008.

1. z0n3x macrumors member

Heres the situation, a buddy of mine dropped his phone in a urinal and it has since been rendered useless. He went out and purchased a new one and didn't know that they would have replaced it for $250.
    First of all, the water indicator light is not pink, secondly he gave it to me. If i brought it to the apple store are they going to ask me information about my at&t plan and information of my buddy who bought the phone? If it is deemed un-warrantable will they let ME pay the $250.00 fee to get a new one?

Anyone exchanged a phone legitimately broken with no original purchase questions asked?
    Thanks in advanced.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think they'll replace it for you for $250.
    As soon as they see the water indicator they'd wont even bother. Its not a light, its like a paper thats supposed to be white.
    Also they will ask you for your cellphone number to make sure it is activated and working thru AT&T.

3. z0n3x thread starter macrumors member

re

so they in fact will ask for a cellular number? I spoke with a genius on the phone today, and was explicitly told that there is a $249.00 service fee for out of warranty issues, and other threads have indicated this as well. At any rate, I'm sure my buddy would be happy to do this for me if I covered the $249.. I hope, but, being that he is a suse chef his schedule is next to impossible to coordinate with mine.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

$249 fee for out of warranty repairs like a broken screen etc....
    But I dont think they can fix the phone for that. With water damage the whole thing has to be replaced.
    Give it a try though, its worth a shot. Just give them his AT&T number and play it like its you.
    The worst that can happen is they'll deny you.

5. friekunater macrumors 6502

Apple hardly ever just repairs the iPhone, they usually just send you a new one and reuse the useable part.

6. myusername macrumors member

myusername

try a Pay as you go plan

If the phone is water damaged you can buy the $249.00 out of warranty iphone, this is swapped with the water damaged one. The catch is that the phone still has to have a contract, if your buddy had AT&T service moved then there is no contract with AT&T on the urinal iphone, you just have a paperweight. It's in the iphone fine print that active service with AT&T is a requirement for service on iPhone.

Worst case scenario try getting a Pay As you Go contract and move it to the iPhone, then swap it out.

-r