water damage/repair technical issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kped, Nov 17, 2009.

1. kped macrumors newbie

so my iphone 3g experienced a little water damage recently. i did the usual, let it sit in a bag of rice, use a hair dryer on light settings, etc. but got no results - still completely dead. fearing the worst, i decided cracking it open to take a look couldn't hurt it any more...

following a bunch of online directions for disassembly, i took the phone apart. i did see one of the water sensors (bottom right) had turned pink and i also noticed a very small area (maybe .5-1 centimeter) on the bottom right edge of the motherboard where there was visible water damage (corrosion?). i cleaned the area throughly and continued disassembly. i removed the mother board and then the battery, finding a little bit of water hiding behind the battery which i dried up. i then reassembled everything, let it sit over night and plugged it into my computer this morning. much to my amazement, the phone turned on and appears to be back to working order, showing the correct date/time and my background image. the only issue is that the screen is unresponsive to touch. brightness is still at 100%, there's no fogging, blotchyness, cracks or dents etc... i tried all i could think of/find via googling to try and remedy this, but to no avail except. the only suggestion i have been unable to try is restoring it, as the phone is apparently charging when i plug it into the computer but it is not showing up in itunes as being connected - preventing a full restore.

i'm due for an upgrade in 1.5 months so i'm pretty much just looking to do whatever i can to macgyver the lil'guy, to get it to at least make/receive calls and texts until i get a new one at the end of december.

i definitely didn't break any parts during my process and everything appears to be reconnected properly... any help, direction or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance,
    kristina.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. kped thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. i'm a little hesitant to consider replacing any of the parts in that region of the phone since the water sensor there didn't show any water damage in that area, but i'll definitely look into the digitizer a little more.
    thanks again.

4. tonyynguyen macrumors newbie

There might be some corrosion between on the connector of the digitizer and the logic board.

5. hectordtruong macrumors member

most likely a digitizer issue. im surprised the LCD works still. its usually the other way around where the digitizer is fine and the LCD is bad. as far as the itunes recognizing issue, the dock connector may be shorted out and need replacing. pretty easy fixes if you know what youre doing. let me know if you need help repairing. ive brought back a couple of water damaged iphones to life before...

6. csd1971 macrumors newbie

Hector - is there a simple way to determine if the dock connector has shorted out or not? If so how do I go about fixing it?

7. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

That isn't easy - I usually try a spare dock first to see if it cures it - if you have a spare dock that is. You can plug it on the board, leave the case open and test it.

8. hectordtruong macrumors member

there's no way to tell by just looking at it. but if you see water spots near the connectors then there's a good chance. dock connectors/flex cables are fairly cheap on ebay. it would be easy to check if you have the patience.