Water damage to 4S, data seems OK but ...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by scrappledog, Jun 24, 2012.

1. scrappledog macrumors member

Friday night I had to rush into a pool to grab my 3-year-old who had followed some older kids off the steps and was going under. Yep, beloved 4S was in my pocket, wouldn't you know it?

Immediately I dried it as best I could, the screen was black, but it occasionally vibrated and the flash LED light was going on and off. The phone also felt warm. I dried it even more, took it home, packed it in rice in a ziplock back and followed that by keeping sealed bag in my warm car for two and a half days. Now, when I attach it to a charger, nothing happens except the LED eventually turns on -- and stays on. And then, after awhile, the chirp sound indicating a charger connection does chime -- but then repeats every minute or so on a cycle.

My biggest fear (total dad priorities) were that the last couple weeks or even months of photos and videos I took of my kids were gone forever, as I hadn't uploaded to my MBP (and then backed up) in ages.

But tonight I connected it to the MBP, nothing happened for awhile, but then the chirping began and iPhoto launched -- and all my pics were intact. Still, can't power up the phone and the LED stays on. Seems brighter if I charge it longer (I stopped after awhile because I've got work to do and the chirping annoyed me).

Is there any chance at saving the phone? I do have AppleCare on everything -- will they replace it for a fee? If so, do they replace it with a brand-new device or a "factory refurbished" one? I've had a lot of bad experiences with the latter over the years, across many brands. Never had a refurb apple product, though.

Sorry for the long post.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt this phone will ever work right again. The replacement for a 4S is $199 and it's a refurb.

3. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

If you have AppleCare + then you should get it replaced for $49 I believe... And I'm glad you were able to get your photos and stuff off!

4. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I can't think of anything else I need to extract from it ... unlike an old iPod touch that vanished about a year ago, I didn't have a massive amount of notepad input (would kill to have all the brainstorms, funny ideas, etc. off that old touch) on this one. The pics were the biggie. Would like the unsynced audio recordings (I use for interviews, etc.) from iTalk, but can live without them.

I do have the extended AppleCare, and I believe it was mentioned as a selling point that it covers accidental damage where it didn't used to cover it. Still, am I guaranteed a refurb if I go this route?

I'm also pretty certain this phone is not going to work again.

Whatever I end up doing I'm getting a waterproof case. Too easy with kids, summer and abundant rivers and swimming pools to accidentally go in as I learned Friday.

Might stick it back in rice and back in hot car for awhile, but can't imagine this will do much more than it might have already.

5. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

My understanding was that Apple Care + doesn't cover water damage?

6. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

"AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone1 and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee."

Sounds like you get to do it twice.

7. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Yeah, I would just be honest and explained what happened, the water damage was accidental, so it should qualify for the $49 charge...

And it will still be a refurb, they only do new ones if a store is our of stock of the refurbs, that I'm aware of

8. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

Wow. This place is like a skipping CD. The AppleCare I bought was specifically presented to me as allowing replacement for accidental damage. I'll check, but I'm sure it's+. Maybe someone else can chime in again with "I don't think this phone will ever work properly again."

9. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

If you bought it with your 4S then it would be AppleCare+, as that is the only AppleCare they have sold with the iPhone 4S

10. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Another way to find out: If you remember that you have somewhat paid extra 99 bucks (or 100) for your supposed $199 16GB iPhone 4S then yes- You have Applecare+ . :D

11. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

Anything else I could/should try to retrieve from it before calling for the AppleCare replacement? What's odd is the LED battery will stay on for days. Better life than the rest of the phone had.

Another hidden blessing here is that some people used to always say they had a hard time hearing me on the 4S. Now that I'm using an iPhone 4 work gave me (still going to replace the 4S as this is small-memory and for work), those same people say I sound much better.

So I think my 4S had a defective mic to begin with.

Wish I could retrieve all the text messages from it.

12. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

Also, provided I can get it to recognize briefly again when I connect to MBP, does anyone know a way to extract the notepad entries?