Water damage to Iphone, need some suggestions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Erik787, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Erik787 macrumors newbie

My iphone 3gs wound up in some water. I let it dry out, powered it on got the apple image startup screen but then a white screen with what looked to be moisture or moisture damage. I took it apart and tried to let it dry for a few days. When I tried it again I got the same white screen with the same gray kinda diagonal streaks or discolorations.

There were important pictures on there that I had taken since my last backup and I thought I'd try connecting it to my comp holding on to the small hope that I could get the pics off. Nothing happens at first, then maybe a few minutes in the phone lights up, the comp picks up the device, and I can grab the pics off of there. Itunes even starts up and syncs everything.

So, the point of this long winded post is to ask, does this mean that the guts of the device made it unscathed? If I bought one of the lcd replacements off of amazon, would there be a pretty good chance that I could get the thing back?

Anyway, thanks for any help anyone can offer. :)

2. KingKolt macrumors newbie

Same thing happened with me, from the apple logo to the white screen with moisture and when i hook it up to itunes it says itunes has discovered an iphone and recovery mode, i attempt to recover it, nothing happens but an erro... instead of letting it dry out, my friend plugged it in trying to be helpful and shorted it out, i bought a replacement battery and nothing...some people say that replacing the lcd or battery might save it, but i just connected another iphone i have without the lcd to itunes and it read it no problem...so i dont think buying a new lcd, touchscreen digitizer or battery are even worth the time or money...i think the phone is gone....and water damage voids your warranty.... but now theres an out of warranty service that apple offers....they will replace your water damaged phone with a refurbished one, same model, for $199...if you had a bigger model like a 32 gig 3gs, i think a refurbished $200 phone from apple is a better idea than $700 for a new one..

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

your plans sounded good til you said by an lcd off amazon.com.....dont do this! they are bad bad bad....I have had several customers bring me parts off amazon and ebay and they are completely useless! good iphone repair and find a shop in your area and do it right. you are looking at $100-$120 to have your phone fixed correctly.