Water damage under LCD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hibby, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Hibby macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. I bought by MBP back in October of last year. I had no problems at all and it's easily the best computer I ever owned. Well, a few weeks ago I was installing a security update to Leopard and it just shut off. When I tried powering it back on, I heard the chime, and the drive was spinning like nothing was wrong, but the sleep light stayed solid and the screen would not come on.

Well, the nearest Apple Store to me is 3 hours away, but luckily we do have an "Authorized Service Center" in town. They had no idea what was wrong with it. So.. they sent it to Apple and Apple says there's water damage under the LCD and it would cost $1500 to have a new LCD installed (since as most of you know, AppleCare doesn't cover this).

The only thing that confused me was that when I connected an external monitor, it still didn't work. Would water really affect anything displaying at all even on an external display? Any kind of advice would be much appreciated. I will be getting the computer back after Labor Day so I can expand a little further.

Thanks in advance!

Below is a picture Apple sent to me of the damage:
    [​IMG]

2. west.acre macrumors member

3. tweaks macrumors regular

happened to me. wouldnt boot at all. i just got a blank white screen. no chimes.....nothing. bought a new mac pro and kept the old. fired it up in about 3 days and bammmmm it worked.

if it is just the lcd and you are not as lucky as i just change it yourself. buy the lcd on ebay.

4. Hibby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm happy to say that I'm not replying to this on a PC. :) My Mac's not dead but the screen is horrid. Now that I have it back I can explain the picture a little more. The picture is actually my desktop, they changed it to a solid white to show the damage. The "smears" on the screen are actually where the water damage occured. So now, it's pretty much the LCD is shot. Anyone got any suggestions on how to get rid of those? I was thinking about opening it up to dry it out somehow.

5. Hibby thread starter macrumors newbie

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Just leave it to dry for 3-4 weeks, it should be usable afterward (i speak from experience). :D

7. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

If it doesn't get any better i would say definitely try and find someone who will fix this for you. It can be done a lot cheaper than through apple, i had a friend who had a cheque book in the lid of his laptop, and when it was shut the screen was broken. He found a company locally that put in a new LCD for about £70, although this was a sony laptop.

Good to see that it is working at least partially. If you don't want to go down the repair route, i suppose it can live out its days with an external monitor.

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

don't take your mbp into the shower with you.