Water damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjw395, Feb 23, 2008.

1. mjw395 macrumors newbie

Hi--I know this has been posted before but some questions I had weren't really answered...

I just spilled water on my macbook. It didn't really get on the keyboard as far as I can tell, but I'm pretty sure it seeped into the computer because it spilled and got the cd-drive-"entrance" thing wet.

I've done everything I've read...turned it upside down, powered it off ASAP (it was on when I spilled, dun dun dun), took out the battery, blow dried it.

I don't know whether I should take it to Mac tomorrow or wait until it dries. If I wait until it dries, how do I know that it's dry?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I believe you're supposed to leave it be for a couple days.

3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Leave it inverted for at least 2-3 days, more if you're in a damp or humid environment.

If it's nothing more than water, you may luck out and not have any damage.

MacDann

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I agree with leaving it for several days to dry out. I've repaired two ipod nano's that had coke spilled over them and no longer worked by this method:

drain the power to 0
    spay alcohol into the ipod
    use a tissue to wipe as much of the alcohol as you can.
    use a hair dryer make sure you give the ports a good blast.
    wait several days before trying to power it on.

With just water spilled you've done the right things... just wait a couple of days to be safe before powering it on.

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Before the jokes start... it was cocacola... if it was the other kind of coke... I would have used a straw.