Water damage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KyleHyde, Dec 18, 2009.

1. KyleHyde macrumors newbie

About two years ago, I spilled a drop of water on my macbook around the area of the caps lock and shift buttons on the left side of the keyboard. It wouldn't turn on, until I discovered that if I took out the left memory stick (keyboard left) it would turn on. So it has worked since then, but with only one memory stick in. That means I only have 1gb of memory, and I'm in need of more.

Is it true that the macbook (the core duo 1st generation macbook) can only take 1gb per slot and that I can't get a 2gb stick? Is there a way to fix this problem so I can use two memory sticks again? It doesn't seem like there was that much damage since that's the only problem. I can't afford a new computer so that is not an option, and I would prefer to not have to buy a new logicboard. Do I have any options?

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Are you sure it's not the stick that was damaged (i.e., did you test the slot after removing the stick that was there?

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yes.

Probably not. If it hasn't repaired itself and this happened over a year ago, it's unlikely the slot will ever work.

(You may want to try different RAM modules, if you haven't already...)

4. KyleHyde thread starter macrumors newbie

Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean?

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

A different RAM stick...

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

The ram module you took out there isn't any like water stains on the pins? You could try a pencil eraser to clean them Put it back in see if it fires up.

7. KyleHyde thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try a new memory stick, and it doesn't work. It must be the slot. Is it worth it to buy a new logicboard?

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Could be. If you take it to a genius perhaps he / she can quote you on replacement logic board. If it too high, you could do a ebay job but you never no the condition of the parts anyway

Can you get it covered under home and content insurance?