Water Damage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hchavarria, Jul 2, 2010.

1. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I have a new iPhone 4 and a cup of water fell on it today. The water damage indicators did not turn red but they both now have a gray spot on them both. Is this an indicator of water damage for apple?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

I've not heard of water indicators turning gray, but maybe there is something new with the ones in the iPhone 4.

You didn't by chance buy your iPhone 4 with a credit card that puts on purchase protection (lost, stolen, broken) for free for 90 days, did you? If it's fubar after the water drop, you'd be able to replace it through them.

4. hchavarria thread starter macrumors 6502

No credit card protection. The indicator is still white but they have a gray dot the size of a ball point pen. If the phone is fine I don't plan on going but because of the proximity sensor issue I was going to try my luck and exchange it.

5. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

They dont turn gray but just in case you might want to try the rice trick if you cant exchange it.

6. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

The one in the headphone port may be gray due to the headphone plug rubbing it... as for the dock one? Dust? Maybe?

You can easily open your phone up and clean up any water inside.

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

You can also take a toothpick and put bleach on it. Then, stick the toothpick on the indicators. It will return them back to white. I've done this with a couple phones after a pool run in. :) works great!

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Why would you do that? You couldnt see the dot unless you looked straight into the jack/dock.

9. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

really? you really just ask me why would you do this?

hmmm, well...if you were going to bring it back for a replacement and "water damage" being something that's not covered...i'm pretty sure you would want to cover it up. SOOOOOo, i gave him an idea that i've used. :)

DING DONG, welcome home dorothy!

10. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I understand that much, but eventually they will figure out that it is water damage.

12. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

yeah, maybe at the factory where they do refurbs...not at the store where they look for a red or pink mark. I"VE DONE THIS BEFORE!!!!