Water damaged 2011 MacBook Pro has negative amperage while charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brettka7, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Brettka7, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

Brettka7 macrumors regular

While plugged in, my Macbook is usually around -640 Milliamps. Shortly after being plugged in, it goes to ~2000 Milliamps. My friend's however has water damage, so when hers is plugged in it stays at -3 Milliamps. Her MacBook is totally unusable without being plugged in (reads at about -700 Milliamps), freezing, crashing, spinning beach ball. Doesn't seem to have problems while plugged in. Obviously a battery replacement would help, but what are the chances it would completely fix the problems, when an OS restore didn't help at all?

2. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Ummmm.. Really..??

Very Confusing Numbers there.. are you perhaps talking Milli-amps.. as in 1/1,000 of an Amp.. ?? The common North American A.C. Wall outlet is capable of a 15A draw.. Period.. :confused:

That being said, how exactly are you seeing this/ measuring it..?? If it is from some 'on board reading' the Water Damaged Computer could easily give you wildly incorrect numbers.. Methinks.. :rolleyes:

3. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, milliamps, sorry I was in a rush while typing.

4. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Dear of dear your teacher would be rapping your knuckles with a ruler saying amperage instead of current ;)

5. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm obviously a total electrical n00b. I may not know the correct terms, but my theory is plausible, correct?

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Again, I wonder where you are getting this from.. Is it in the 'About This Mac".. 'Power/ Battery Info' perhaps..?? Or other..?? :confused:

As I said, if you are asking whether a 'Water Damaged Computer' may read a wacky number, I say YES!! :apple:

7. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it is in that section in System Information. I suppose it is equally possible that it's the board as it is the battery. The milliamp reading is the only reading that is off, anywhere in system info... Probably cheaper to try to replace the battery before replacing any boards.