Water damaged 6 from employer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slicktype, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Today, my employer gave me his 1.5 week old IPhone 6 that fell into a pool over the weekend.
    I am trying to save it by submerging it into a bag of rice. I will check tomorrow night if successful.
    If this does not work, what are my options ?
    Would I be able to take it to the Apple Store and replace it for a new one at the $299 replacement cost ?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Might want to keep it there for at least a couple of days before trying to turn it back on.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Did your employer give it to you as a gift or to fix? Yes keep it in the rice for a few days.

4. xymay macrumors member

Hi Slicktype, put the water damaged phone into rice is an old but easy trick. However, it didn't work out as expected all the time. For me, to teardown the device to dry the internal parts is always on top priority. Anyway, check it out for more tips to save water damaged devices: http://www.etradesupply.com/blog/how-to-save-your-water-damaged-phone/

5. Slicktype thread starter macrumors 6502

Slicktype

I tried it today (2 days left inside ziplock w/ rice) and still nothing. I placed it back in and will check this weekend.
    I hope it works .....

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Put in in a big pan of rice. Boil and add seasoning and chunks of pork or chicken.
    It will come out perfect:D
    Sounds like best option is to pay for a replacement at Apple.

7. Slicktype thread starter macrumors 6502

Slicktype

He just gave it to keep.
    Will Apple require him to give the ok if I choose to replace for a new device ? Yes, I would pay the $299 out of pocket, but not sure if I would be questioned as to how I acquired the device.
    I would like to avoid any complications....

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

As long as he turned off find my iphone on it then anyone can bring it to Apple and get a replacement.
    If he's not sure have him log in to icloud.com and if that particular device is still listed there in his account have him remove it.
    If not they will not replace it.

9. Slicktype thread starter macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Thanks for the reply. I will try to replace it first prior to bothering him with this request (this guy is incredibly busy!)
    Looks like I will be heading to Apple on Sunday if the rice trick does not work.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Up to you but you might waste your time by going in if it's icloud locked.
    You can check the current Activation Lock status of a device by visiting:
    https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

11. Slicktype thread starter macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Thanks for the link ! I'll see if I can find the box. If not, I work a few blocks from an Apple Store, so not really worried about wasting to much time.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

13. Slicktype thread starter macrumors 6502

Slicktype

So I successfully replaced it with a new 6 with absolutely zero hassle from Apple. I also sold my 6 plus (unlocked, gold, 128gb) the same day as I received an offer that I could not refuse.
    So the 6 is now my day today phone and I am now anticipating the launch of the 6S plus.

Thanks for all reply's !