Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Today, my employer gave me his 1.5 week old IPhone 6 that fell into a pool over the weekend.
I am trying to save it by submerging it into a bag of rice. I will check tomorrow night if successful.
If this does not work, what are my options ?
Would I be able to take it to the Apple Store and replace it for a new one at the $299 replacement cost ?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Might want to keep it there for at least a couple of days before trying to turn it back on.

Reactions: Applejuiced

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Did your employer give it to you as a gift or to fix? Yes keep it in the rice for a few days.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Might want to keep it there for at least a couple of days before trying to turn it back on.

I tried it today (2 days left inside ziplock w/ rice) and still nothing. I placed it back in and will check this weekend.
I hope it works .....

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Did your employer give it to you as a gift or to fix? Yes keep it in the rice for a few days.

He just gave it to keep.
Will Apple require him to give the ok if I choose to replace for a new device ? Yes, I would pay the $299 out of pocket, but not sure if I would be questioned as to how I acquired the device.
I would like to avoid any complications....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
As long as he turned off find my iphone on it then anyone can bring it to Apple and get a replacement.
If he's not sure have him log in to icloud.com and if that particular device is still listed there in his account have him remove it.
If not they will not replace it.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
As long as he turned off find my iphone on it then anyone can bring it to Apple and get a replacement.
If he's not sure have him log in to icloud.com and if that particular device is still listed there in his account have him remove it.
If not they will not replace it.

Thanks for the reply. I will try to replace it first prior to bothering him with this request (this guy is incredibly busy!)
Looks like I will be heading to Apple on Sunday if the rice trick does not work.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for the reply. I will try to replace it first prior to bothering him with this request (this guy is incredibly busy!)
Looks like I will be heading to Apple on Sunday if the rice trick does not work.

Up to you but you might waste your time by going in if it's icloud locked.
You can check the current Activation Lock status of a device by visiting:
https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

Reactions: timeconsumer

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Reactions: AppleDApp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.