Water damaged 6s is there anything I can do?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Brosicle, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Brosicle macrumors newbie

I've got a water damaged 6s that I don't believe is recoverable. I brought it into a repair shop to see if they could revive it, but they said they couldn't do anything. I looked on apple's repair service that they have. I looks like they don't accept water damaged phones.

Do any of you guys have ideas on what I can do?

Is there any way to send it in to applecare without them knowing it's water damaged?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

To answer your question... no, Apple technicians would know immediately that your phone was water damaged and that voids your warranty. If you purchased Apple Care + for two years your phone would be replaced by Apple less a deductible. Otherwise, you're probably looking at buying a new phone.

3. 617aircav Suspended

I guess I'm lucky. My 6 fell in 2 inches of gutter water while I was on a call. Toile me 10 seconds to get it out. Phone is still working 5 months later. Take it to Apple. They will likely charge you for a out of warranty replacement.

4. xixi.li macrumors regular

Taking your phone to another repair store , maybe they will repair your phone.
    Or you should by an new one

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You should be able to get an out of warranty repair on it (most likely to be a swap out for a refurb) which will be a fair bit cheaper than buying a new one (for example, an out of warranty repair is £236.44 for any model 6s)

6. Brosicle thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm considering taking it to another repair store. The one I went to, said they couldn't test the battery, but when they tried out a new screen and it wasn't taking power. So, I'll probably go to another place where they can do a full examination.

This would be great. Is it even remotely possible that this could happen? It's $300 to get an out of warranty repair on it. It's $700 if I were to buy a new one. It would be immensely cheaper if they swapped it out even with a refurb.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Out of warranty repairs are definitely available for water damaged phones and are normally done as swap outs for a refurb device: the only issue you may have is they can and do refuse to do out of warranty repairs on phones that have been repaired by unauthorised repair shops

8. Brosicle thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

I went down to my nearest apple store (2hrs away) and ended up walking out with a brand new 6s. I got a very laid back employee to take a look at it and I was just honest about what happened and he simply swapped my damaged one out with a new. I did shell out $300 for this new one, but in the end it was totally worth it, when you think about buying a new one for $700.

9. chscag macrumors 68000

Good news and another big kudo for Apple Support; still the best! :)