Water Damaged early 2009 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xplosiff, Jan 10, 2013.

1. xplosiff, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

xplosiff macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a water damaged 2009 macbook pro. Around 10mL of water entered through the upper left corner of the laptop at the escape key. The laptop boots off the battery, but won't charge and the screen won't display an image unless I connect up an external monitor.

It appears that the only obvious fault on the logic board is that the small chip (assuming is a regulator of some sort) has fallen off the board, only to leave the heatsink on the back of it with a rotted out track between the supply and pins 1,2,3. Pin 4 goes somewhere else.

The laptop is at work at the moment, but does anyone have a picture or schematic of the circuit from where the power goes into the magsafe connector and the top left LCD connector so I can measure out the parts around the area? I have found another picture on these forums that almost shows me what I need to see, but I need to see what is below the picture a bit more.

It was water damaged a few weeks after buying it back in 2009, only now have I decided I would try and repair it. I have the gear to do the surface mount soldering and what not, but have no schematics or anything to work off.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

I don't mean to be a jerk, but why did you wait until now to repair it? Seems kind of a poor choice, considering you could have sold it for parts at least for a lot more than today.

Do you know that a chip fell off for sure? If so, it should be in the case somewhere. Do you have it or know what it looks like?

It would be helpful to know exactly which of the two 2009 revisions it is as well as the screen size, since the logic boards may be dissimilar. Lastly, can you post another picture showing where exactly on the board that close-up is? I'm not immediately familiar with it myself, but it's hard to see what your photo is even showing without some sort of frame of reference.

There's quite a few pictures of logic boards if you search for them on eBay from parts sellers, but again, I'm not clear on which model you have.

3. xplosiff thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I forgot to mention, it is a 13" A1278. I'll take a picture tomorrow at work