Water damaged - Fixed!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smossh, Apr 26, 2013.

1. smossh macrumors newbie

After scrolling through numerous threads on this site about 3 months ago when my 2011 MacBook Pro got water damaged, I realised what I needed to do. So after leaving it in a box of rice for a week, I turned it on and alas it worked! Although that happiness soon faded as I realised the fan was going at full speed and it was so slow it was unusable. Saddened by this, I let it do some more drying. Once again, the outlook was bleak. Realising it was time to claim insurance, I was just about to, when I got way too busy and ended up just leaving it on my desk and using another computer. Two months down the track, had some spare time and decided to see if anything had changed. Although this was not the case, and it was still slow and unusable. Once again, I put it back on my desk and got back to everyday life. Fast forward to this week, I have a holiday. Thought it was a good idea to finally claim insurance. Turned it on, and bam it was working, perfectly fine! (remember I damaged it 3 months ago) Although this didn't last long with it shutting down again. Skip forward an overnight, and I decided to give it one last go. And here we are, a few days later, with a perfectly fine, functioning Macbook Pro.

Point of the story? As I was sure it was broken for life, all it really needed is a couple of months to dry. Here's some inspiration for anyone who's water damaged theirs.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It may, indeed, be OK, but it's not uncommon for problems from water damage to appear farther down the road. I wouldn't say with absolute certainty that it's fixed. It should be completely dry in several days, so whether it dries 3 weeks or 3 months shouldn't make any difference. It sounds like your problems may still exist, but be intermittent.