Water Damaged iPhone 3G with Broken LCD Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PlayU18, Oct 8, 2010.

1. PlayU18 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I was recently on vacation and went swimming with my iPhone in my pocket for about 10 minutes. Then, I made a second mistake of trying to turn on the phone after I realized what I had done. Then, to make it worse, I very carefully attempted to take the phone apart to dry it out, and on the last step, I cracked the LCD when I tried to pry it out.

My questions are as follows:

If an LCD is cracked, is it possible to get any response from it, or is it completely dead, 100%? I am trying to decide if it is worth the $25 to get a new LCD and try to fix it again. For all I know, the LCD is the only problem now that it is dry, but since it is cracked, I am just not sure. While I realize that there may still be other problems from the water, if it is impossible to get a response from a cracked LCD, it leaves me curious to know if that is the only problem at this point. On the other hand, if it IS possible that a cracked LCD can still work, I think that will convince me to just scrap the phone. I don't want to sell it in it's current state since I have personal data on there that I wouldn't want somebody else to recover. Any help or advice sure would be appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt dump any more money into it. It has severe damage and it wont be just a simple screen fix.

3. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

I have fixed many water damaged phones including iPhones dumped in toilets. You need alot of knowledge, fine tools, a microscope, lots of time and a bit of luck. Guarantee you won't be able to fix it unless very lucky. The radio part of the circuit board particularly does not like water.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

but to answer your question you can get some response out of a cracked lcd. it will most likely be a white screen but even if you get that it doesnt mean your phone will work.

5. PlayU18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Figured I was screwed, but thought I would try one last ditch effort.