Water Damaged iPhone 4S - out of warranty replacement ok?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BadboyHouse, Mar 21, 2013.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

The mrs managed to water damage her iPhone 4S. Not totally submerged - a bottle of water leaked slightly in her handbag.

The damage is around the camera and flash - you can see condensation behind the glass on the camera and flash.

The phone itself is stuck on the Apple logo and the camera flash is constantly on.

It's only 5 months old but of course this puts a bullet in the warranty.

I'm in the UK. Do Apple carry out out of warranty replacements for water damaged phones here? Anyone know what the cost is?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

$199 USD.

In the UK dunno. But they will have them and can replace.

3. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You can try rice but I say if you have the $$ just get the OOW replacement and have a "new" phone.

5. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

true story. our maid washed my old 4s by accident a couple of months ago. put it in rice for about 2 weeks. phone could turn on but would overheat after about 10-15 minutes. put it back in the same bowl of rice for another month and half. 2 weeks ago i took the phone out and started using it. it's mostly ok except for the camera can't focus right.

so try the rice thing!

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

£146.44

Be sure to make an appointment.

7. mbp17xxx, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

mbp17xxx macrumors regular

I have my s4 in the service center now, they will replace it if I pay around less than 300$USD. on the email report it said "WARRANTY VOID DUE TO LIQUID DAMAGE".

the phone turned on after a week in the rice box, but the flash light wont turn off now. I just gave it a try if apple would repair it for free, its still under warranty, too bad they voided the warranty, report shows "Note : Flash light stays on. External LCI(liquid contact indicator) has been triggered and screw rust." :mad:

anyway i can live with the flash light on, now my phone is unique :D

thinking of buying s4 anyway, iphone screen is getting too small for me

8. andrews04 macrumors newbie

andrews04

Are you really serious about this? :confused:

9. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

100% serious.

My note 2 got messed up (long story) so I had no phone to use while a replacement was coming in. That's when I remembered I still had my old 4s sitting in a rice bowl somewhere in my kitchen closet. Took the phone out and turn the thing on. It was a couple of hours before I realized.. "hey it doesn't do that overheat and shut down message anymore!"

10. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

So put your phone in a bag of rice for 2 months and MAYBE it will work semi-right?

Just pay the OOW fee and be done with it. :rolleyes:

11. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

if it's your daily driver, then sure. this was my old backup phone already.. and I'm just saying that the rice thing works.

12. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Ahem, so your phone is still screwed up. :rolleyes:

Go for the replacement if you can afford it. Water leaves nasty gifts behind and they are on time-delay.