Water damaged iPhone 5S advise

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Artmuzz, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

I went for an hours walk a couple of days ago and I got caught in the rain. My iPhone 5S was in my jacket pocket and my jacket got soaked through with the rain.

Anyway when I got home I found water blotches under the screen and the phone function stopped working.

Anyway a day later the phone function was back working and when I tried to make a phone call the screen started flickering and now I have a white vertical line running down the screen. I have noticed that when I try to press certain keys on the touch screen keyboard some keys don't work.

I am wondering if I should take it to the nearest Apple Retail Store and get a replacement which will cost me over £200 or should I take it to a mobile repair shop to get it fixed for over £100?

Please advise

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The correct thing to do would be to have turned it off immediately and placed it in a sealed container with uncooked rice to draw out the moisture.

It may be too late now, but to potentially save money, turn the phone off immediately, and as soon as you can, place it in a sealed container with uncooked rice. Leave it to sit like that for several days. Then, and only then, should you turn it back on.

But, having water inside of it and having kept it on, I'm afraid the damage may already have been done.

If leaving it in rice for a few days does not remedy the issues, then yes, you'll likely be looking at costly repairs or even paying for a replacement.

3. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I am going to take my iPhone 5S to an Apple Store for an out of warranty replacement since its water damage. Will I need to put my iPhone into its box with original proof of purchase? Please advise

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

No need to bring accessories, box or proof of purchase. Just pay the (I believe) $270 for OOW replacement and you'll get a service unit from a white box from the genius tech.

5. Smith2000 macrumors member

Make an appointment and back up first

If you can, be sure to back up to iCloud or iTunes on your computer before bringing it in.

Also, make a Genius Bar appointment online so you don't end up having to wait two hours or asked to return another day.

Last but not least, tell the tech about the problems, but not about the water damage. If they don't see the evidence of the water damage then you'll get a replacement for free. If they see evidence of water damage then you'll have to pay. Apple can afford it.

6. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

So because they can afford it it's okay to leave out information?

The truth is going to get you further then intentionally omitting information, they can tell when a device is water damaged. :rolleyes:

7. RGT70 macrumors newbie

You could try to put the cell phone in a bag of dry rice for a week if you do not need the cell phone urgently these days. Rice is really good at drying electric devices.

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i would recommend the bhheestie bag or other similar product. it works better then rice.

make sure you tape the lightning port and headphone ports.

i went to great america. my iPhone showed some water under the screen. it otherwise worked. i turned it off. i placed it in rice. i waited 24 hours. i found out that rice got into the lightning port. i could not retrieve it. it was 2 % battery left because of me being out all day. i bent the pins trying to get the rice out so i can charge it. the lightning cable just made the rice go up the port more. when i got the rice out, i was able to charge it. but it would no longer sync. it would disconnect during the syncing process.

i had square trade so i just paid the $50 deductible and replaced the iPhone.

it was a 5, so the deductible was $25 less then the 5s.