Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColonelSmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Ohio
Hi MR,
Went to my parents for dinner the other night and my mom gave me her iPhone 4 that took a trip through her washing machine. I decided to check and see if it was a total goner before selling it. What I've found so far is that everything is working properly, the logic board is fine, speakers, mic, camera, battery is all in working order. However, the screen seems to be the only issue. It will not turn on. Though it does flicker when the phone turns on and the digitizer is working properly as i can slide my finger across and hear it unlock and I even managed to dial my number. I opened it back up and checked the ribbon for the screen and it's hard to tell but there may be some slight discoloration on a couple of the contacts, probably corrosion. Does anyone have any suggestions for anything else to check or perhaps clean off the corrosion so I don't have to shell out the $150 for a front display assembly?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
After a trip through the washing machine, I wouldn't spend $150 for just the front display assembly when Apple will trade it for a never-before-washed phone for $49 more ($199 out-of-warranty replacement).

Bratheryst

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
The out of warranty replacement program would probably be your best bet. The memory is solid state, liquid damage usually means that when the components are heating up the water molecules will start surfacing. In the long run, this will cause problems (typically, there always exceptions to this, but more often than not, you will have a hardware failure).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
After a trip through the washing machine, I wouldn't spend $150 for just the front display assembly when Apple will trade it for a never-before-washed phone for $49 more ($199 out-of-warranty replacement).

I agree.
Its like putting good money into bad.
Get it replaced for $200 and you wont have anything to worry about.

ColonelSmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Ohio
I agree.
Its like putting good money into bad.
Get it replaced for $200 and you wont have anything to worry about.

Managed to get the corrosion off and now everything works but the backlight. So I'm going to take your advice and do the out-of-warranty replace. However, I'm worried that I won't be eligible because I dropped one of the bottom screws and still can't find it. Do you think they'll still replace it??

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
As long as you're not leaking battery, or your iPhone is in multiple pieces, you should be good! :)

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.