Water Damaged iPhone wont boot passed Apple Logo Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deeganator, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Deeganator macrumors newbie

I recently bought and iPhone 3GS and after 12 days of having it i dropped it down the toilet. I dried it out as much as possible and tried turning it on (Not knowing it was the worst thing to do). I then checked the water sensor in the headphone slot and there was a pink stripe. Warranty gone. I later did some research on what to do and found that putting it in rice was a popular and successful thing to do. So i gave it a go.

3 days of drying out in the rice I checked to see if it would boot, each time it failed. It just got stuck on the Apple logo screen and never reached the home screen. I attempted a restore, all went well. iTunes stated the phone was restarting; the screen went black, then to the Apple logo appeared. (normal for an iPhone or iPod touch to do when restarting). But it never reached the home screen, it would just stay on the Apple logo screen and sometimes would be joined by the Loading circle.

Strangely iTunes was able to detect the phone, back it up and sync it. I could access and view all the files on my phone but the phone it self was stuck on the Apple logo screen.

So I thought i should leave the phone in rice for a further 6 days to dry out more and see whether it would change. Nothing did. I repeated everything i had tried and nothing would change :(.

Can anyone help me?

Ryan

2. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

Sounds like you're SOL bud.

3. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

sometimes you just cant salvage a water job. :(

If you are comfortable, you could open it up and see if there is any corrosion on the boards. if there is clean it off. Worth a shot since it is garbage if you dont do it.

4. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Go to Apple store, since it is 3GS maybe they will replace it for you

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You know why right?
    Because of the water damage:)
    They will replace it for $200 at Apple.