Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitsua926

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2013
There was water damage on the keyboard and I tried drying it as much as possible while turning it off, etc etc. Unfortunately it keeps booting in safe mode every time I restart/update because the command/shift/and or option key are being "held down" when this happens. The internal keyboard doesn't function properly because it think any one of those keys are being pressed down. My question is there any way for me to just disable my internal keyboard while keeping my external wireless one connected? Or even to exit safe mode without restarting? I have a mid 2010 15" mb pro and it's all updated.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Disconnect the internal keyboard ribbon cable from inside and short pin 5 to pin 29 to turn on your mac. No keyboard, no problem. Or, you know, don't be cheap and pay for a real repair.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You can do so without removing that ribbon by removing a .Kext kernel extension from /System/Library/Extensions.

One of the following, don't ask me which one but it will work:

AppleHIDKeyboard.kext
AppleUSBTopCase.kext

BUT, you need an external bootable disk to do so, for if you mess up, if you can't control the Mac after you Disabled one of these to get into a working System.

Do so only if you know what you do, disabling one at a time, first move one, then if this does not work put it back and move the other.
You need root access to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.