water damaged MacBook Air HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Xion, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Xion macrumors newbie

I have a water damage MacBook Air. I am not sure what spilled on it. It has been damaged for a while now. Apple says it will be $740 for the full repair. The Mic nor the speakers work everything else works perfectly. Is there any way i can repair this? Without replacing the logic-board. I am really just looking for the cheapest way to get the speakers and mic to run. I could open it and whip it down, I am not sure that will work but i'm open to everything. Is there any diagnostic system that can tell me what is fired. I have done a hardware diagnostic but only the 20 min one. not the 2 hour scan. ANY recommendations will help. -Thanks

2. Remedy156 macrumors newbie

You could also try to hook up some speakers to it.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Pay Apple the $740 and be done with it.

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Before I did that, I would sell it AS IS on eBay, then use that money towards a refurbished Air.

I bet it'd be cheaper and you will still have Applecare with a new and never water damaged MBA.

5. larowenj190 macrumors newbie

There are a couple things you can do. Watch craigslist or ebay for others with broken systems to swap parts. Also try sites like www.ifixit.com or www.iresq.com.
    I believe iresq prices are:
    - diagnostics starting at $18 and depends on the
    shipping method
    - if you know that its the logic board then it is $400
    including the install plus whatever shipping method
    you choose
    If you have them diagnose the computer they give you a quote for the repair and you can choose to have the fix it or not.

If you decide you would like to sell the computer I am in the market for a damaged MBA to replace the screen on mine.

Hope this helps