Water damaged MacBook Air - need suggestions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cowmoohard, Jul 15, 2014.

1. cowmoohard macrumors newbie

I have a 2013 Macbook air 13" that got a small waterspill causing the laptop to shutdown. Later that day it continue to function like nothing happened. 4 months later, the laptop just died. No battery charging anymore and the laptop just doesn't turn on.

I saw a few options on eBay where they take in the laptop for attempt repair or else it will be free for the cost around $250...

I need some suggestions on how I should go about this.... ;(

Thanks!

2. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I would take it to an Apple Store or call their customer service number first, before going to ebay. Tell them what happened truthfully, but I wouldn't start my explanation with the water spill. Failure 4 months after a small water exposure could be related, but not necessarily. It could be another issue entirely. But once a tech hears the words "water damage," that is what they will associate with it. So start by explaining the current issues you're having, then tell them about the incident 4 months ago, and make sure to emphasize that it was working fine for 4 months, and see where they want to go from there. Good luck.

3. sibham macrumors newbie

Sorry man that sucks :(

You could be reallllly lucky, and it's just the top case (keyboard / trackpad) that's damaged - meaning you pressing the power key isn't doing anything.

It's more likely though that the damage could be worse, so get it into a store or service provider. I wouldn't bother trying to lie about it being water damaged - you can tell straight away (in an apple store at least) and if you try to argue the point or 'bend' the truth you're gonna lose sympathy. Best advice is to be completely honest, explain how upset you are - and basically just be nice - it goes a long way!

Don't do an ebay job.
    No idea what's going into your machine (or what's coming out...) - no warranty on it afterwards, and apple won't touch it if its had repairs like that done.

4. cowmoohard thread starter macrumors newbie

It's out of warranty already. I went to the store and asked the costs for repair and they told me it has to be sent in. With a cost at $700.... Which is almost the cost of a used 2013 MacBook Air...

5. sibham macrumors newbie

ah... do you have any local independent mac shops? Worth asking one to take a look at it if they can.

List of AASPs here: https://locate.apple.com (they're independent shops who do authorised apple service)

And local small independents will be cheaper still if you can find them.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Take it to apple for an estimate - if its within your budget to repair go for it, otherwise sell it for parts on ebay to recoup some cash for it :(