Water damaged MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bthom70, Aug 28, 2011.

1. bthom70 macrumors member

Spousal unit left our 2010 MBA under a window and it is now water logged.
    I thought at first it was only on outside of the case, but water also flowed out of the end when I turned it over.

I realize the MBA is probably FUBAR. Next question how do I get data off of the SSD? I googled for a SSD-USB adapter and no go.

So now I have to wait until the storm is over and see if I can find a pentobular screwdriver locally, or order one online to extract the SSD. MBA is going to stay off and closed until I can pull the battery.

We have time machine but I'm unsure if everything is really backed up.

Any other advice?

2. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

Thats sad, sorry to hear this!
    Most of the electronics is coated with PU or silicon. Put the laptop asap in a container with rise or silica gell and leave it there. If you have a good apple service centre, they will be able to help you with getting your data back. Officially they don't put the old blade SSD into a new unit, unofficial they helped me with that as well.
    IIRC OWC has a thing that converts your old SSD into an USB (3?) stick...

3. bthom70 thread starter macrumors member

Can you post a link to the adapter?
    I looked for about 10min and didnt see it.

4. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Sorry for what happen to you mate, but this phrase just made me smile.

The smile aside, I don't know what would be worst, letting the thing undisturbed but asleep, or try to disturb it to turn it off. I really don't know it.

5. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

can't find it either, just read about them on macrumors... perhaps somebody else could step in?

6. KPOM macrumors G5

There was talk of an adapter but I don't know if they actually ever started selling it.

Replacing a logic board on a 2010 MacBook Air is a $755 repair. If the window was blown open by the storm it's possible, but unlikely your homeowner's policy will cover it (unless you had a personal articles rider). Depending on what model you had, it might just make sense to put that toward a new one.

7. bthom70 thread starter macrumors member

Followup to the soaked MBA.

The local Apple store sent the MBA to the repair center, (based on the telephone# I think its near Chicago)
    The repair center called and told me that due to "liquid" damage Applecare wouldn't repair the unit. They would repair it for $755.
    Based on the repair list, the only 2 parts not replaced was the screen and bottom clamshell.

On a side note, since they replaced the SSD I had to use TimeMachine for the first time ever to restore the user profile. It's so cool the way it does the restore and bam the laptop is back the way it used to be.

8. jcg878 macrumors member

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I had $835 quoted to me to repair my 2010 13" MBP, which is what led to me purchasing my MBA. I took out and sold the 8GB RAM and SSDs that I had installed to it, and kept the 500gb 7200 rpm HD that I put in. I restored from Time Machine without issue... except that it carried over AirDisplay which screwed up my scrolling. Anyway, I agree that restoring from Time Machine is fantastic. I hope your new-old MBA stays dry!