Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roharia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
This is my nightmare right now, spilled water on mine a day ago and tried to dry it out. It turned on and everything worked EXCEPT the charging. If I plug it in it says "plugged in not charging" I took it to the apple store to see if they could help. They told me $1,200 and I literally fainted. That is the first time in my life and they called the EMT, I had a friend with me so they let me go home. It was AWFUL. I'm sitting here trying to dry it out more in hopes that by some slim chance it starts to work. I have Apple care but that does not cover water damage unfortunately. I thought about getting the screwdrivers and opening it up to dry it out more effectively. I don't think there's much else I can do and I almost want to cry right now. I know this is my fault. Is there anything I missed that I could do guys? Please spare calling me an idiot, I know.
Thank you

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well turning it on was probably a bad idea. That's a moot point.

The fact that turns on is probably a good sign, but if doesn't say it's charging, means somethings wrong with the battery or the connection. Unfortunately the rMBP isn't really serviceable by us regular folk, which means unfortunately you probably have to go through Apple for this repair.

If you are patient, perhaps disassemble the entire computer, put every part in a bag of rice separately and then wait a week before putting things back together.

When did you buy this computer? How did you pay? If you paid with a credit card, some cards offer accidental protection for the first 90 days or something. You could check with that.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hopefully you paid with a credit card that offers some sort of protection. You may also check into your homeowner's insurance.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
If I were you I would just head to another Apple store and state the issue of a battery port unable to charge. Its technically not "lying," you are just leaving out specific information. The more Apple doesn't know the better. However, it is up to you on whether you want to choose this route because it is possible that they may remove the bottom case to immediately see the damage.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
If I were you I would just head to another Apple store and state the issue of a battery port unable to charge. Its technically not "lying," you are just leaving out specific information. The more Apple doesn't know the better. However, it is up to you on whether you want to choose this route because it is possible that they may remove the bottom case to immediately see the damage.

in other words... cheat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.