Water damaged screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SkurvyPirate, Jun 3, 2010.

1. SkurvyPirate macrumors newbie

I found a fellow student selling their MacBook Pro 15" becuase they spilled water on it and the keyboard doesn't work. The screen also has a few faded looking spots.

It is very cheap and I know I can fix the keyboard but I am wondering if anyone has seen this on an LED screen before? It's only in a few spots. Is this permanent? Or will taking it apart and cleaning it fix this?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

How do you know it even works at all? Usually a water spill is a disaster.
    If the keyboard isn't working it's likely that the rest of the system isn't working either.

3. lordofuo macrumors regular

+1

4. unamused macrumors 6502

seeing that the logic board is right below the keyboard... i would be more concerned about that being fried...

5. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

hes pretty much getting free money if you buy that mbp off him....

6. SkurvyPirate thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a she. But I met with her earlier today to check for myself. It powers on and everything and goes to the log in screen but the keys don't work. The mouse works fine though. I would take the whole thing apart and clean it with alcohol anyways and buy a replacement keyboard. I could even live with the screen for the price.

I just am curious what could be causing it because it's not on the edges or anything, just certain little spots. It still works in those spots, just faded. It was actually tea that she spilled. I asked if it was hot because my first suspicion was that the heat warped the electronics where it touched the screen, but she claims it was not very hot at all.

7. Mark.W macrumors member

What do you mean by "faded looking spots"? How big are they? And are you sure you're not seeing pressure spots (which would be unrelated to the spill)?

8. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

How cheap is cheep? I mean at the very least you can plug in a monitor and usb keyboard and you have a working mac.

9. brdnboy macrumors regular

I've only seen one "water damaged" LCD in a MacBook but it was permanent. The sill was milk i am pretty sure. There was a mark (looked like a faded translucent bubble) behind the viewing area (polarizing filter) but in front of the actual LCD that creates images. It was in between layers of the LCD and there was no chance of cleaning it. Is the MacBook Pro a Unibody or previous gen?

10. SkurvyPirate thread starter macrumors newbie

They just look faded out kind of, it's hard to explain. Just washed out colors is the best way to explain it, and they look like they are in the shape that would be consistent with liquid spilling on them. The biggest is a little bigger than a quarter. I don't think they are pressure spots because there are a few smaller ones right next to each other. I've never seen any screen damage like it, that is why I am curious. I mainly want to know A)Is it indicative of only damage to the screeen? Or is this caused by damage to the screen wiring or something more serious, and B)If it is just the screen, is it possible that when I take the whole thing apart and clean it, that these spots can be fixed.

$350 bucks.