Water damaged (submerged) iPhone 3GS working almost perfectly

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rich186, Jan 4, 2010.

1. rich186 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was on vacation in Florida last week and jumped in the pool with my iPhone 3GS (yes i'm stupid, i know). I then proceeded to swim for a while. After about 5 minutes i realized that the phone was in my pocket.

When I took it out it was off, which was not surprising. I didn't try to turn it on as I was conscious of the fact it may fry the circuits. I went home, stuck it in the oven for a while, then blasted it with the hairdryer a couple of times etc. Basically, I dried the thing out as much as possible and after 2 days then tried to turn it on. It didn't work. Then I plugged it into the charger and it started up perfectly.

I can now use it exactly like I could before, the screen was a bit blotched at first but it's cleared up now. I can make phone calls, take pictures, even the speakers are just as clear as they were before.

My problem is that the phone only works now when connected to the charger. The battery fluctuates at around 70/75%. I appreciate that there are many possible problems with water damaged iPhones but I was wandering if anyone has come across this specific situation.

I know that Apple don't replace/repair water damaged phones but I have comprehensive insurance anyway, so if all else fails I can go down that road. However this is really lengthy (I claimed a few months back when my previous 3gs got stolen). I don't want to be without my phone and have to reinstall/migrate everything when i get a new one. Also, my current one is jail-broken and I am aware of some issues with jail-breaking the new phones/bootrams.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice/experiences :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your phone is toast, get it replaced, there's really little that can be done to a phoen that as submerged as yours was.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

First thing I would do is back up everything and try a replacement battery.

Anything after that seems grim.

4. rich186 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, although it seems a bit OTT (and long) to replace it when the device is so close to working perfectly. As I said, the phone is fully functional when connected to the charger...

5. rich186 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Yeah, I plan to open it up this evening and have a fiddle around with the help of ifixit.

6. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I would try to a restore.. Do not restore from a backup and see I'd that fixes the problem.. Also let the phone fully die and see what happens

7. rich186 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I have a feeling that a software restore won't do the trick as the current software clearly works fine. I will gather a few tools together and take the device apart tonight, test the battery with a voltage meter, then I guess if that doesn't work it's a bigger problem than I can fix and I'll take it in.

I'll update the thread if I manage to fix it.

8. photojonny macrumors member

Have you tried the rice trick? Put the phone turned off, sim-card out, in a small box and cover it with uncooked rice. Leave it for 3-4 days. This will draw any water/moisture out of the body of the phone.

I submerged my phone for just a few seconds the others day. Tried various drying techniques but it was all over the place - no wifi, it thought headphones were permanently plugged in, volume going up and down randomly, turning itself on and off. 3 days in a box of rice and it's fine.

If that doesn't work then try the new battery.