Water damaged :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rhs7787, Jul 7, 2009.

1. rhs7787 macrumors member

So I dropped half of my iphone in my water glass yesterday. I have had 3 iphones within the last year. Two of them were stolen and now this one is water damaged. To top it off it's my birthday today lol. Such great luck I have. I really wish AT&T would insure this phone.

Anyways, I read that Apple will replace liquid damaged iphones with refurbished ones for $199. It's either I get a refurbished 3g or a new 3gs for $399. What would you guys do? Does apple still give you a credit if you turn in your iphone (10% discount towards a new one?) or is that only for ipods?

Thanks for listening to me vent a little. Hope your day is going better than mine lol.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Sorry to hear that OP, but I think you're better off with the $199 fee. Refurbs really work pretty well. Hopefully it doesn't happen the next time you get your iPhone.

P.S: Happy Birthday :)

3. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I would probably convince myself to get the 3gs, using the water damaged 3g as an excuse. It is another $200 though, so if you don't really have it, go with the 3g.

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I would eBay/Craigslist/sell the waterdamaged then put that towards the $399 for the 3GS.

5. rhs7787 thread starter macrumors member

It won't even turn on. I'll check out ebay and see what people have theirs going for.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

all may not be lost. Try sticking it a bowl of rice to absorb the water. Let it sit for a few days and you may have it working again.

7. senorian macrumors regular

Also try using a compressed air canister. I dropped mine in the toilet about a month ago. Everything still worked except the phone thought that the headphones were plugged in even though they weren't. I used the compressed air canister inside the headphone jack and within minutes my phone worked perfectly. Give it some time to dry out and see if it'll work. it's worth a shot.

8. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I second this. It worked for us when we machine washed the bluetooth headset.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That might have been a floater that caused that:p

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

and some others have suggested silica gel, but rice is so much easier to find. :)

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If that was the case, I wouldn't fancy putting it close to my face!! :D