Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charlaux

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
After the collapse of the air conditoner upstairs of my dorm I consider myself lucky because my macbook pro retina seems to work well.However there are some questions that popped to my mind about the water - macbook pro,I mean the questions that I think It might help for all of us in the future if we experience a problem like that because even a person who does not eat or drink near mac faced with this problem.Maybe luck,maybe unluck but I think It may happen to everyone.

1)Okay,we waited for 48 hours and we opened our macbook everything seems to work fine but how we will be sure if the water did not damage hard drive,or any small parts of the computer ? Or may It shorten the computers life ? Can water cause damages that we cant see ? How can we be sure about the damage of the computer take ?

2)Water resistant/water proof sleeves:how efficent are they when It comes to protect your computer ?Would it be protecting from the humidity ?

3)Whats the usual testing at genious appointment and how long would it take a normal check ?

4)Are there any programs which shows us If the computer works fine like the day we got ?

Those are the questions that came to my mind.I dont know If there any questions that we should ask when a problem like this happens.I do hope that It wont happen to anyone.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
How can we be sure about the damage of the computer take ?

You can't.

2)Water resistant/water proof sleeves:how efficent are they when It comes to protect your computer ?Would it be protecting from the humidity ?

Unless you completely seal the MBP nothing will protect against humidity.
3)Whats the usual testing at genious appointment and how long would it take a normal check ?
What is taking it into the Genius Bar going to do? They're just going to see that it's water damaged and quote you some repair figure that will be so high you might as well just buy new.

4)Are there any programs which shows us If the computer works fine like the day we got ?

No.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Take a quick look at this article:
http://www.cultofmac.com/177091/apple-really-doesnt-want-to-repair-your-moist-retina-macbook-pro/

It shows where there are 10 moisture indicators inside of the rMBP. I'd imagine that the Genius will take apart the case of the rMBP and look to see if any of them show contact with moisture.

I'm not sure if they'll require you to leave your rMBP overnight for them to do that, though.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The best way I have found if your computer has water damage is to run water over it when it is powered on. If it doesn't work then you know that it is very likely that it wasn't as worse off as it is now.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Wouldn't your university be liable for the damage if it was due to their failed equipment?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Wouldn't your university be liable for the damage if it was due to their failed equipment?

I dont see anywhere in the OP that it was ever mentioned that the MBP was ever directly effected by water. If water didn't touch it then it is highly unlikely that it will have water damage from such brief contact with humidity.

Charlaux

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah,the university will cover up If there is a problem.To better explain my situation here too my laptop was with the water resistant sleeve in my drawer.As far as I remember the sleeve was just gave you the sticky feeling rather than the wetness.I carried my macbook out of the room and didnt feel any wetness however the leather part of the hex sleeve is a little bit crimped but I dont know If Its happened from the water.

The computer seems to work fine,I mean no screen problems (no dead pixels,seems to be like in the power safe mode after the 3rd or 4th sign in after the incident which I beleive Its because of %20 battery left ) audio is working I can surf in the internet.The part which scares me is what if something happened inside that I cant see at the moment but further cause problems later of my computer life.

I know It seems to be like I am paranoid but after all Its like my baby and I do understand that things can occur,Itll get old useless but I really dont want that to be happen in the 2nd day and If Its a perfectly working MBPr.So I decided to have an appointment with apple genious to check my computer and at least comfort me.If there will be a problem surely the college accepted to cover that.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Yeah,the university will cover up If there is a problem.To better explain my situation here too my laptop was with the water resistant sleeve in my drawer.As far as I remember the sleeve was just gave you the sticky feeling rather than the wetness.I carried my macbook out of the room and didnt feel any wetness however the leather part of the hex sleeve is a little bit crimped but I dont know If Its happened from the water.

The computer seems to work fine,I mean no screen problems (no dead pixels,seems to be like in the power safe mode after the 3rd or 4th sign in after the incident which I beleive Its because of %20 battery left ) audio is working I can surf in the internet.The part which scares me is what if something happened inside that I cant see at the moment but further cause problems later of my computer life.

I know It seems to be like I am paranoid but after all Its like my baby and I do understand that things can occur,Itll get old useless but I really dont want that to be happen in the 2nd day and If Its a perfectly working MBPr.So I decided to have an appointment with apple genious to check my computer and at least comfort me.If there will be a problem surely the college accepted to cover that.

If the University is on the hook and you're worried about it, why not have Apple check to make sure the moisture sensors didn't get tripped. If you find this our a year from now it might be too late to file your claim for the accident.

But it does sound like it's fine.

Charlaux

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
If the University is on the hook and you're worried about it, why not have Apple check to make sure the moisture sensors didn't get tripped. If you find this our a year from now it might be too late to file your claim for the accident.

But it does sound like it's fine.

You are right.Actually since I am not a resident at USA (I am in a summer programme so It'll definetely bring some difficulties) If there is a problem I will want them to pay to me directly so when I return to my home country I can take care of it.And one question is really bugging me,are there any possibility where some small damages may occur ? I mean the damages that you wont see. ? I'll be going to Apple store genious app. tomorrow so wish me good luck.

Charlaux

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Good news ! I checked it through the Apple Store.They checked the sensors and hardware and they said my macbook is working perfectly fine.I asked about the screen and he made watched the other macbook,the space thing.He said "The old one is brighter but yours is detailed " But Its still less brighter than the day I bought so I dont know If auto dim and the brightness thing is the same but if its the same there is another reason for that,a reason not about hardware but the program inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.